Outside Of The Box

My anxiety was starting to build up. I looked down and realized I was standing still. Even worse, I looked up and realized I was starring. "Okay are you stalking me or some shit?" She snapped, putting the cap back on her liquid eyeliner brush. I didn't know what to say. It really did seem like I was stalking her. Was I?

"No. I just saw you come in here and- I'm sorry, I'll leave." What was I even saying? Why did I walk in here? I tuned and went to grab the door handle.

"Wait- I'm sorry," She sighed and my heart dropped. I looked back at her. "I didn't mean to be bitchy. I'm just not used to people talking to me at school. And I felt like you were going to." she added. I nodded. "Yeah. I-I understand that." I mumbled. She didn't smile at all. I don't think I've ever seen her smile.

"You're the girl that friend requested me?"

I gulped. "Yeah."

"Look. I'm sorry. I don't need friends at school. The few I have outside backstab me enough."

"Oh. I'm sorry about that."

"You seem chill, though really." she started putting he makeup away.

"Thanks..."

"See ya around, Cassidy." she walked out and I melted. I was happy. Really happy. I wasn't a stranger anymore. And maybe if I try, I can convince her that I can be a friend. I'd suggest more but I bet she doesn't date. That or she's not into girls.

I went over and looked into the mirror. A sudden shutter of confidence filled my nerves. I smiled and stood up, tall, and walked out the bathroom with a smile.

***

4th period was the first class out of three that I had with Skylar. I walked in and sat down. I looked over and she was drawing in her notebook. "Your assignment for today is to fill an entire eight by eight sheet of paper with things that represent you and the person you are. No blank white spots. I want to see color and I want to see creativity. Think outside of the box."

Her supply list at the beginning of the year required us to buy erasers, 12 art pencils and paint brushes in different sizes, and a sketchbook. So we had everything we needed. Everyone took out their supplies but only half of everyone started right away. Me and Skylar were part of that half.

I drew and airplane to symbolize how my parents died. Next to it I drew the house me and Sawyer have been growing up in since we were 7 years old. I looked over and tried to see what Skylar was drawing in hope that maybe I'd get to know her better. But I couldn't see. So I looked back down at my paper and thought for a moment. Then I took my pencil and drew a mistletoe. The reason I did was because mine and Sawyer's birthday is December 23rd. Along with that, I'm huge on romance.

I love the thought of being loved. Of being held and being part of another person. It made me happy. The thought of someone having such strong feelings for you that they commit themselves to you over 8 billion other people in the world just warms my heart. It makes me feel special. I love the idea of love and everything that comes with it.

I've never dated anyone but in 2nd grade, Jaxton Andrews's brother, Jayden, kissed me under the monkey bars. It was only a peck but I thought It was the best thing to ever happen at the time. It made my stomach fill with a million butterflies. But thinking back to it, it was dumb and probably a dare from one of his friends. That was my first and only kiss.

I always wondered what it would feel like to really kiss someone. A meaningful, genuine kiss. But I'm almost 16 years old. I know people who've had these super serious relationships since early freshman year. None of them are probably going to get married to each other, though. It's not realistic. Nothing in high school romance is realistic. My crush on Skylar wasn't even realistic.