Chapter 3 Mrs. Dianna Straction

Mort was not very sociable. Everyone he dealt with were either clients or family. His sister, Mrs. Dianna Straction was there on my first day. Yes, I will present their conversation that day just as I heard it.

"Dee, I want you to meet my new assistant," Mort attempted to introduce me. 

"I don't know why you need an assistant. You know Mary is more than happy to be at your beck and call. She would certainly make a better secretary than she is a maid. The only reason she comes here is to see you. You know she has a thing for you."

The Mary she is referring to is Miss Mary Leeds. She comes in once a week to do the housework.

"Mary is completely inept when it comes to the internet. Besides I want an assistant who can take orders without complaining or back talk. And, you know I'm not interested in Mary. I only keep letting her come here because of what happened to her sister."

Mary's sister was Mort's fiancée. She committed suicide a year ago.

"I'm surprised she doesn't blame you for her sister's death."

"Dee, you know there was nothing I could have done and I wish you would quit bringing it up. Speaking of sensitive topics, what has that worthless son of yours been up to?"

"You know Deke. Video games, hockey, and get rich quick schemes are all he is ever up to. I think he is going to come by to see you in the next day or two to try and get you to invest in his latest idea. Don't ask me what it is this time. I just told him no without even hearing about it. I'm tired of flushing money down that toilet. Besides, John may lose his job at the college. There is talk they may shut the place down, so we are counting our pennies just in case."

John is Dee's husband. He is a dean at one of the local for-profit diploma mills that are having financial difficulties due to the increased government scrutiny in regards to student loans. Deke is their twenty something son who still lives at home.

"You're not asking me for money, are you? I get enough of that from Deke."

"Of course not. I know better than to expect a miserly old bastard like you to part with your beloved money."

"You got that right," Mort chuckled. "At least not until I'm dead and then only because I have no one else to leave it to."

"I get your money when you die? That's tempting."

"Maybe I should revise my will?"

They both laughed. As Mrs. Straction was leaving, she said, "You really should give Mary a chance."

"Kill me now, Dee and spare me your match making efforts."

Despite his request, she did not kill him.