Getting Dolled Up

Betty Rose was your typical old flapper. She was sixteen years of age and never left the house without a pack of ciggies. Born and raised in Harlem she had seen the ups and downs of what her town had to offer.

The year was 1928 and Betty was getting herself dolled up for a night out with her new sugar daddy Raymond (AKA Ray) who was 19 years of age. They had been dating for six weeks and Betty had promised herself she wouldn’t let this one slip away.

“You ready baby.” Ray shouted up to Betty.

“Just one minute.” About a minute or two after that Betty walked down the stairs almost taking Raymond’s breath away. She was wearing a white dress with a slit that went halfway up her thigh, pearl beads, a feather in her hair, and a white boa draped across her shoulders.

            “You’re such a doll. Now why don’t you come to daddy and give him a little sugar?”

“There will be none of that tonight. Not until you two are married and far away from your mother and I.” said Betty’s pop.

“Yah, yah, yah no drinking, no kissing, no fun. Be home by ten sharp and if you're late you're gonna get in serious trouble.” Betty said in mockery. “You always have to make my dates end in a flat tire.”

“It’s for…” her father began.

“I know, I know ‘It’s for my own good.’” Betty finished.