FRIENDS

jimin wasn't always a night person

at his young age, he often lived outside, under the shining sun. frolicked and laughed even under the hottest of summers. back at his hometown, he would chase his puppy around, and was often scolded by his parents and even his younger brother.

but it was often his cheeky, crooked tooth and all, kind of grin that melted their hearts that they let little jimin get mud on his shoes, grass on his hair and sunshine on his eyes every single day.

the little one would be too exhausted to even hear halfway of his mother's bedtime story, let alone find the sea in the middle of the night, sit there and silently cry underneath the stars.

yet, here he was.

jimin wasn't the type to sit underneath the growing magnitude of stars and cry through the beauty of it. and he wasn't a city boy to start.

he was seven, and his main concern were the different games he'd invent every other day. he didn't think too much of it when he sneaked into the kitchen that one hot afternoon, in search of ice cream, and happened to walk on his parents' shushed words of "job opportunity" and "seoul".

he knew about seoul, of course. it was the big city. the one that little jimin often dreamed of exploring, by the time he'll grow a little older.

but 'a little older' came faster for jimin than he thought.

a few weeks after the kitchen incident, he found himself stuck in the back seat with his younger brother, driving all the way to seoul.

jimin wasn't processing any of it. could only nod and follow his father's order of carrying what he could into their new house in seoul. could only stare at the "takeout food" that his mother set down at their new table. could only stare at the ceiling of his new room in what he was supposed to be calling his new home.

but jimin suddenly cried.

maybe it was the tiredness suddenly seeping through, maybe it was because the pillow underneath his head smelled like his closet back home in busan, maybe it was because he didn't get to say goodbye to his puppy that his parents suddenly gave to his grandparents the day before they left.

maybe because this new home of theirs didn't feel like home at all.

jimin should be happy— he finally got his own room instead of sleeping with his sibling after all. but when he really thinks about it, he'd rather fall out of the bed because of his brother's kicks like he did back in busan, than be alone in an unfamiliar room.

so jimin wept, silently that it hurt his throat and that was the first time he couldn't sleep at night.

and that night was the first time he sneaked out, walked to whoever knows where, and reached the sea.

he felt like he had walked for hours, only to be disappointed. because the sea in seoul wasn't the same as the sea in busan.

it seemed further away, the waves a little softer and seemingly darker.