The Prince

~Edwin's POV~

I awake late and grogy, as per usual. The bright rays of sunlight that filter through the lush red curtains tell me I'm late for something. Reluctantly, I hop out of bed and stretch. Memories of last night flicker back into memory. I grin widely.

I turn down my bed, not caring if I'd be yelled at again. The Brewre's were rich enough to own their own estate in their allied state of Aventiva, as small as it is. The twins shall remain here for their studies, as will I when I wish to visit my betrothed. Which I plan to not be often.

I hear a slight knock at the door.

"Master Edwin, are you up?"

"You may enter." A petite hand maid comes in, wafting the smells of a glorious breakfast into my room.

"Sir, you must eat now. The King requests your prescence immediately." She curtseys. I take a piece of toast and hold it in my mouth as I undress. She looks away quickly.

"Alright, I'll be there in a minute." I mumble. I am never in any mood for pleasentries, especially at this hour. Mornings just aren't my thing.

"Might I ask, where is Avery?" I say.

"Sir, I cannot stress how innapproprate it must be if you were to grow fond of this service woman. She cannot be with a royal such as you. I apologize for my outburst, sir." She nods. I sigh, I was actually quite fond of that maid, no doubt my father's going to have her head now. Let's just say when I was a bit younger, I maybe... put myself forth to her, so to speak. No one wishes to speak of the incident when the King's foolish and hormonally dysfunctional son touched a maid.

"Alrighty then, you are dismissed." I said, before I stripped down completely. I do too have boundaries, after all.

*

"You must be wondering why I called you here, son." My father spoke.

"It better be important, you know how much I hate the mornings." I say. He laughs raciously, much to my annoyance.

"Yes, my boy. I was only to talk about you and your beloved." He says.

"What now, I showed up, put on a show; hell I even kissed the bloody girl, what more do you want?" I retort.

"I know you may not entirely be fond of this girl yet, but it's the only way we can ensure the public is accepting for when you take the throne. They always like the couples, espcially how the dainty woman calms the deadly beast." He chuckles.

"Couldn't quite find anyone daintier, could you, Charles?" I nod at the noble as he enters the room.

"Miss Aris' family is a promising one, and what's better than a lifetime supply of wine?" He adds.

"Can we just not talk about the little hick from Delor that I am to wed?" I slump down in my throne, tired of all the talk.

"Fine, fine. I called you both here today to discuss the impending illness from the East-"

"I thought that was eradicated years ago when those Kutar and that crazed woman were put to rest," I spout.

"Not quite. In fact, many Kutar survived the first wave, but currently have all turned to monsters. The entire living race is, at this point, extinct. Well, if you're talking natives at least." He adds.

 "Anyways, your father and I thought it would be in our best intrest to work with our Delorian allies to plan an excursion to the East in order to research this illness." Charles reports. I scoff at the very thought.

"Isn't that exactly what that crazed woman was doing all those years back?" I say while thoroughly inspecting the ends of my hair.

"Yes, well, we were hoping to expand upon that. We recently discovered her research materials in her old home here in Delor. We plan to make this a more controlled expedition, so that this way there will be no threat to our people." My father says with great finality. I roll my eyes.