Chapter Ten

At some point last night, I had fallen asleep. As I came to the next morning, I looked around in mild bewilderment. I hadn't remembered falling asleep. The last thing I remembered was watching anime with Kirishima. At the thought of him, I flew up in my bed. While looking around, I noticed he wasn't there. A note on my nightstand caught my attention and I hesitantly reached out for it and picked it up.

-

Sorry for not waking you last night, but you looked peaceful and I knew you needed the rest. I hope you have a better day tomorrow and if not, I'm always here to cheer ya up!

-

At the end of his note, there was a drawing of what I assumed was him giving me a 'thumbs up.' His messy scrawl and small doodle brightened my mood slightly, but after last nights' events, that was probably as happy as I was going to get for the day. My shoulders slumped as I recalled everything that had happened. Even though I felt considerably better last night, I couldn't help the sadness that wrapped itself around my shoulders like a cloak.

Not only had I told him almost my entire life story, but I had also broke down in front of him... again. It was a miracle he didn't think I was a baby by this point. However, I tried to push those thoughts from my mind and began to get ready for classes. My movements were sluggish as I got dressed and gathered my school supplies for the day.

Most of my classmates had already left the dorms and made their way to the school building, but Kirishima was waiting for me just outside the doors of the dorms building. While exiting the building, he turned to me with a hand raised in greeting and a smile plastered on his face. That same smile faltered slightly as he noticed my own apathetic expression.

Falling into step with me, he shoved his hands haphazardly into his pockets, neither of us saying a word. I felt bad. Like, really bad. He had cheered me up last night, but also waited for me this morning, presumably to make sure I was alright. Yet here I was, not saying a word. With a sigh, I began to play with a few coils of hair before speaking up.

"Thank you... for waiting for me, I mean. And for last night."

"Of course! It was the manly thing to do!" I didn't have to look up to tell he was smiling and that his mood had brightened exponentially. "But, you still don't seem very... well, like yourself."

I chuckled softly, but it wasn't exactly heartfelt. "You would be right."

At that, he quieted down and silence engulfed us once more. We stayed just like that for sometime. The only sound surrounding us was that of our shoes on the pavement. The schools main building soon came into view and as it did, Kirishima finally decided to break the silence.

"Did you... want to talk about it?" He rubbed the back of his neck as he spoke, not looking to me.

"I'll be fine." I waved my hand dismissively. "Besides, we're here and need to get to class, the bell will be ringing soon."

As if on queue, the bell rang, signaling that we were late. He shot me a nervous glance before all but dashing to class. I followed after him at a much more leisurely pace, but still quicker than before. Kirishima beat me and as I strolled in, Aizawa Sensei sent me a glare but said nothing. This only caused my frown to deepen as I took my seat. Should I be happy that he said nothing or more worried? I didn't have an answer and that only distracted me more than I already was.

The hours seemed to fly by and before I knew it, it was lunch. As I sat at the table with the rest of the group, I poked at my food. I wasn't really in the mood to eat, my appetite soured by my own brain's inability to function properly. No matter how hard I tried to reason with it, it denied any logical thoughts. Sighing, I continued to mope. The rest of the table took note of this, looking between each other worriedly besides Bakugo who scoffed and rolled his eyes in annoyance. He opened his mouth to say something, but Kirishima stopped him before he could.