I wish I could be more than that

3 years later:

It was late afternoon, Levi was at (y/n) 's house sitting by the fireplace with a freshly made cup of tea between his fingers. Just like every day after Aiden was born, Levi visited them at dusk. Three years had passed and Levi could hardly believe how close he'd become to those two. He'd participated in every moment of Aiden's life, seeing him speak his first word, seeing him take the first steps and watching him grow and become more and more like Erwin.

Little Aiden was a small copy of Erwin Smith. At the age of three his eyebrow had started to thicken and with his big blue eyes and perfectly aligned blond hair he was even more like the deceased commander.

And Levi had a need to see that little one every day. As much as Levi always kept that listless look and that bored expression, he had his heart melted when he knocked on the door and heard his little voice shout from inside "Uncle Levi has arrived, mommy!" so that (y / n) would receive him.

His heart always beated faster when he saw (y/n) as well. And seeing her every day for so long had left him more admired by the woman. It was wrong. She was Erwin's fiancee. She would be his wife and that would be his life if he were still alive. And thinking about it made Levi even more guilty for starting to feel attracted to the woman and attached to the boy. But he couldn't deny it. He liked her. Damn he wanted to be with her.

But he avoided getting into that. Especially when he was rejected by her a year ago, being turned away when he kissed her by surprise. He was a little drunk, maybe. Levi didn't usually drink, but that day he had toasted with (y/n) for his birthday and two mugs of beer made him more attracted to her than he should. He kissed her while she washed the dinner plates. Levi quickly pushed the memory out of his head. He felt ashamed just to remember the way she looked at him when he broke the kiss. And to keep him from remembering that day, he looked at Aiden on the rug in front of the fireplace, kneeling, playing with a small wooden horse.

The little boy looked happy, all dressed up in his children's suit, and with red cheeks from the warmth of the hearth fire.

He then took a small sip of his hot tea and closed his eyes again, clearing his mind to just enjoy the peace of the moment.

"Uncle Levi?" The little voice called in a shy whisper so his mom wouldn't listen him bother the captain while he rested his eyes to savour his tea.

"Hmm?" Levi openned one of his eye to look at the kid.

"Why can't I call you daddy?"

Levi widen his eyes and choked, almost spilling all his tea over the floor. (Y/n) on the kitchen called him in worry "Levi are you okay?"

The poor kid looked scared, afraid that his mom would've listened and so begged Levi to stay silent with a shy "shhh".

"I'm okay (y/n). The... tea was too hot..." The captain answered, starting to sweat cold. "Uhmm... Come here kiddo" Levi gestured for little Aiden to come into his arms so that he could pick him up. It had taken him by surprise. How the hell was he going to answer that? "Uhmm, tell me your name"

The boy winced in confusion "Aiden, uncle Levi. You know that!"

"Your full name..."

"Aiden Erwin Smith"

"And do you know why your mom gave you two names?"

The little boy nodded, a little sad. "One of them is my dad's name"

"Yes. You see? You already have a father, kid. Your father, Erwin Smith, was a amazing man. He was my commander did you know about that?"

"Mom don't talk too much about dad... But I saw some paints of him at her studio."  The boy stated. "He semmed nice, mom says I look a lot like him. But he had an angry face..."