Season 1, Episode 4: Girl Meets Sara's Mother

In order to understand the rift between Sara and her mother, you must understand one important aspect of their relationship: Sara's father was not in the picture. Actually, he had not been in the picture for many years. And because of this Sara's mother, Mary, had to take a job at a diner where she worked day in and day out, roughly forty hour a week to let them have when they all needed to have to survive in their small apartment with Sara's grandmother, Yama.

And just like every child (or most children), Sara had a parent already on a high enough pedastal while the other parent was seen as someone covered in mud on the ground. And by ground, I mean rocks and boulders. Anyways the girls (with some added guests (Brianna, Avery, June, and Natlee)) were having a sleepover at Sara's place whil the boys (and a couple of other guests (Miles, Dooley, Trey, and Mack)) had a sleepover at the Harper house.

[Y/N], Dawn, and Sara was looking through some board games. "Are we really going to do this?" Natlee asked as she looked at what [Y/N] and Dawn had already found and placed on the ground. "We're really going to play boardgames?"

"Well, what else do you want to do?" asked Brianna. "The power's out. I think it's a good thing there's so many lanterns around here."

Sara chuckled. "Yeah, mom's a natural disaster nut, so she makes sure we're always stocked. And by always stocked, I mean always."

"Mary came to our dad's shop what three days ago?" Dawn looked at Sara who nodded. "and bough like a six month's supply of batteries. Double A, Triple A, and every other kind of batteries. Including those big chunky ones."

Yama came into the room and knocked lightly on the wall. "Would any of you nice ladies like some popcorn?"

"How? The power's out." Natlee said.

"We have a gas powered stove, dearie." Yama explained. "So, is that a yes or a no?" the girls nodded at her to let the old lady know they wanted some popcorn.

"Okay. So, we have puzzles galore here. Jenga, Monopoly, the Game of Life, Sorry, Chutes & Ladders, Backgammon, Balderdash, Uno, Skipbo, Exploding Kittens, Clue,  Harry Potter, Doctor Who, and Riverdale version I like your family's style; Sequence, Candyland, competitive solitaire?" Mae gave Sara a really look.

"We are not having a solitaire competition! Sara cheats." [Y/N] interjected.

Sara held a face of mock hurt. "Me? Never! But on another note, so do you!"

"And ooh! Cards Against Humanity!" Mae saw the box containing the explicit card game.

"Sure." [Y/N] shrugged followed by the rest of the girls agreement.

Later, that night after playing CAH for several hours, Sara's mother finally walked into the room, her waitress outfit clinging to her body as it was soaked. From the storm that was still raging outside. Mary saw the girls still up playing cards.

"Shouldn't you kids be sleeping? It's almost one in the morning." Mary asked them.

"We know very well that it is almost one, mother." Sara replied as she put down a white card for the current black card.

"Go to bed, girls." Mary told them sternly.

The girls turned to Sara to see what she would do. Sara just turned to her Yama, "What do you think, Yama?"

"Mom, don't even think to play along with her." Mary told her mom.

"Your mother's roof, her rules. Go to bed." Yama said.

Sara turned to the girls. "Come on, girls. Off to bed." She got up from the table while the girls looked at one another before stealing a glance at Mary.