Back to Square 1

Anger started bubbling inside me ready to burst out. My insides felt like they were aflame and agony spread through me. I screamed. My legs and arms turned taut and the fury inside me made me see red. When I couldn’t take it anymore, my eyes rolled up into my head. Then darkness. I had no dreams, my senses weren’t working properly anymore. All I felt was cold, frigid frosty never- ending cold. I woke up. I was in a small ice chamber. I could feel my teeth chattering. I held up my hands, they were slightly blue and trembling. The coldness made my anger burn out into ashes that could be stirred up into another blazing torrent of flames any minute. I pulled my legs up to my chest and rested my chin onto my knees. Days passed with nothing to eat except for ice. Days, weeks, or even months could have passed, but I didn’t care. All I knew of was cold and ice and the color blue. There was only one tiny window that let some weak sunlight filter inside. I stared out of it with hopes of seeing some change in the weather. But day after day, I only saw the same valleys of snow that led to my small supply of hope to run out. When I looked out the window, I thought of Cur and Ruth and the vikings, making me into a torrent of anger which eventually died out when I chewed on some ice. Then one day I saw a change. It was dawn, my eyes were heavy from lack of sleep, but I forced them open. I had heard a strange sound. I listened carefully. There it was again. I peered out of my window and saw an army of fairies, pixies, vikings, dwarves and in the lead, Ruth and Cur leading three pegasus. The ashes of my fire stirred, but I told them to be quiet.

“You can’t be angry now. I reasoned. Let Ruth and Cur find you on their own and when they do, they’ll be greeted by an unpleasant surprise.” I muttered.

I grinned, before long the order of my queen will be carried out. With much patience, I stayed waiting in my tiny room. Outside, I saw my queen’s wolves and polar bears starting to commence their attack against my foes. My queen expertly had commanded her minions to not lay a paw on Ruth and Cur.

‘Excellent. I thought. Leave them to me.’

I saw a flash of Cur’s messy brown hair and Ruth’s blond curls weave through the crowd and slip past the double doors. 

“Simmons?” whispered Ruth and Cur.

I did not answer them. Eventually, they found me. I placed my head on my knees and started trembling slightly. 

“Amber are you okay?” asked Ruth.

Both of them came to my side, and I could slightly see between the cracks of my arms. The sight of them made my heart ache. The real me struggled against the spell’s bonds and after a second I was managed to get my real words out. 

“Both of you, run! I croaked. The spell will be back and I’ll have to carry out the witch’s plan.” my voice crumbled.

“No! We’re not leaving you.” responded Cur and Ruth.

I already felt the spell regaining its coil on my mind and soul. Desperately, I tried to break free again, but it was too late. I could already feel the flames of hatred and anger rekindling. My eye glowed scarlet. I grinned at both them when I saw the new expression of consternation and fear written on their faces.

“Wrong choice. You should have ran while you could” I cackled.

I was about to lunge at Ruth when Cur kicked me in the ribs. I was rammed against the wall and a new wave of anger took over me.

“Don’t hurt her!’” wailed Ruth.

Ruth grabbed one of my arms and Cur the other. I bellowed in fury and flung both of them off. I ran up to Ruth and placed my hand around her throat. She whimpered and clawed at my hand. I tightened my grip.