Prologue

Her long hair swung each time she shifted her weight. With pink cheeks and a cheery smile, she hummed a tune while dancing. Summer had recently ended; therefore, the weather was far more unforgiving at night. The girl ignored this despite her wrong attire, and had only eyes for the starry skies.

She closed her eyes to absorb the clean air. With each inhale and exhale, she gained a bit more confidence. Her rosy lips parted. The words to the song almost escaped but evaporated the moment her eyes landed on a familiar figure. Her breathe hitched.

            “Ethan,” She spoke at last, finally feeling the night chills. The girl wrapped her arms around her body. He stepped forward, unveiling his appearance under the moonlight.

            “How are you faring on this beautiful night, my dear sister?” Ethan’s rich voice questioned. He towered over his little sister by over half a foot.

            “Fine, may I know what you are up to?” She hissed and folded her arms together even tighter. The white silk did not help insulate the heat.

            He took another step forth, “Wondering what you are doing outside at midnight. Think no one noticed? I did.” Their gazes clashed and disdain flared between their identical eyes.

            “I needed to breathe,” She explained and rolled her eyes.

            “Seems like the spoiled princess had too many needs that could not be satisfied,” He sarcastically murmured. She kept her eyes down, afraid he might report it to her family.

            “That’s not true-, “The girl screamed and panted. She had a mouthful of words to spit at him, but they all drained the moment the moment her emotions got the better of her.

            “See, you cannot even rebuttal,” He hissed. She opened her mouth but quickly closed it and briskly walked back to where she kept her lantern.

 She lifted the little light and proceeded to head back to the palace. Ethan’s footsteps followed her, but she ignored it. The girl kept staring at the path in front of her. When she turned to look at the guards, they ignored her curious glances. So they ratted her out? They opened the door for Ethan and her with a polite bow.

            “Make sure you wish Galen a happy birthday tomorrow,” He warned with a hot breath on her back before storming off to his room.

The girl marched up the stairs, tip-toed, to where her bedroom was located. She twisted the knob open while tugging it slowly until a gap was big enough for her to squeeze through. The girl locked it behind her and did not bother to light a candle. She blew her lantern out, discarding it in a heap somewhere. The girl tossed her boots off and collapsed onto the bed, covered in white lace. The wet drops of sadness leaked onto her face. She snuffed her sobs into a pillow. Words always had a way of piercing her heart. She hated her weakness.

A/N: I hope you enjoyed it. This is just setting up the story so it's short. If anyone is talented in making covers then can you please make me one for this story? The one I'm using now is only temporary and I don't own it. I'll give you credit and a dedication. Besides, I'd love you forever. <3