II. Warmth of a Lantern

She wrapped her arms around her father's stout body and grinned her biggest smile. He smiled back endearingly at the youngest born. The King let go of his daughter for a breath and patted her head. The princess resembled the king the most with their straight charcoal hair, brown eyes, and little nose. She even had his honest personality.

The King kissed her forehead, “I haven't seen you for a while.”

She laughed, “I missed you, father.” She closed her eyes. His lips pressed against her cheek again. She leaned her head against his shoulder and inhaled, the faint smell of cinnamon lingered.

“What present did you give Galen?” Her father asked, curiously.

“Guess,” the girl giggled.

“A drawing?” The King contemplated.

“No,” She shook her head.

“Hmm... I do not know. Just tell me,” Her father sighed. She gestured for him to lean his ear closer to her.

“A stamp I made with his emblem.” The princess confessed.

“You carved it by yourself?” He questioned.

“Mmhm...” She nodded. The sound of her mother's voice lured the Princess from the King. She knew the Queen had started to invite guests inside the party.

“Father,” The Princess caught the King's glance, “Please excuse me to speak to Mother.”

He laughed, “Of course. I'll be off. I've never had a thing for parties.”

The Princess lifted the hem of her dress to make way to the Queen. Nobles, now, filled the banquet hall. Colorful dresses of all sorts blended together to form jeweled tones. The path cleared when they laid eyes on the Princess. No one attempted at conversation with the girl. She continued tailing her mother's voice.

“Mother,” The Princess huffed at last. The chatter stopped immediately. The Queen's ruby lips stretched into a smile. She bent her knees and held the edge of the scarlet dress outwards. Not a strand of hair escaped from the tight and elaborate updo.

“My lovely, daughter. Oh, how I have missed you, so.” The woman blurted.

The girl casted her eyes to the floor, “I missed you too.” The words came out as a whisper. The Queen embraced her daughter. The girl returned the gesture.

“Smile more,” A bitter hiss breathed on the Princess's ear. “Your friends are waiting for you. Better hurry.”

The girl's eyes widened. “You're not mad?” She whispered back.

“Nope,” The queen rolled her eyes, “We already celebrated with Galen earlier this day.” They ended the hug and her mother resumed the conversation with the aristocrats.

The Princess rushed off to the front gate excitedly. Every time there was a holiday, the townspeople held a festival in celebration. They called it the Autumn festival due to the start of the season and Galen's birthday colliding on the same day. It lasted for a week and business flourished during this time. No matter race or social class, everyone enjoyed the festival.

Paper lanterns warmed the night with golden light. They came in all sorts of shapes from simple orbs to complex designs of animals. The night lacked any bright stars and the moon but remained beautiful nonetheless.

The girl followed the stone path, ignoring any new guests venturing in for the party. When she finally reached the front gate armed with guards, they allowed her, without a doubt, to enter the city. Kiosks and businesses of all sorts boomed. The smell of food wafted in the air. The princess inhaled deeply and exhaled, absorbing the music and festive noise.

The Princess opened her eyes to find herself staring at the neighboring country's youngest princess and her brother's fiance, Sophie. Sophie smiled sheepishly with her bodyguards surrounding her. She bowed slightly, her long almond colored hair falling out of place.

“It is my pleasure to meet you,” The younger princess greeted.

“Indeed, what a wondrous night.” Sophie complimented, noting the environment.

“Galen has been awaiting your appearance.”

“He has?” A skiddish blush tinted Sophie's cheeks. She hoped the darkness of the night could hide her embarrassment.

“Yes,” The girl nodded.

“Then, I must rush to him. I am sorry that I could not prolong our meeting.”

“No worries,” The princess watched her brother's lover rush off to the palace. She sighed relieved that that the woman no longer distracted from meeting her friends.

“Finally, she's gone,” Exasperated voices murmured. The princess turned around to find her friends. They each carried animal masks and food in their hands. The girls all wore dip dyed, thin dresses.

______________________________________________________________________________

A/N: Yet again, another short chapter. I hope you liked it. Please comment and vote if you really liked it.