A New Life

Catalyn's POV

I opened my eyes and stretched to loosen my muscles. Max padded over to me and tried to lick my face. I sat up quickly to avoid the slobber and swung my legs to place my feet on the floor. I smiled and rubbed Max's head. I looked around for any sign of Victoria and was happy to find none.

When I had come back from the cemetery, I took a long hot shower to fight the chill. After an hour or so, Lucas came home with a soaked Max. I helped Lucas give Max a bath before we sat down for a late lunch. Lucas caught me up on all that had been happening at his work. I had told him that I wouldn't be back to the house until late tomorrow since I was meeting my cousins.

The rest of the night was spent watching a few movies. I had made it halfway through the second one when Max came to lay with me. He whined a few times until I began to pet him across the head and down his side. By the end of the movie, I had fallen asleep. So, I woke sprawled across the couch under a fuzzy blanket.

After Max seemed satisfied enough, I stood and entered the bathroom. I went about my schedule and got ready for the day. I had about ten minutes before I was scheduled to start my typical Monday shift of work. I walked along the sidewalks and enjoyed the sight of blooming flowers covered in a light dew. The small restaurant came into view and I checked in with two minutes to spare.

I had just finished the morning rush and was taking a late lunch. I dug into the chicken sandwich and was happy that it contained the perfect amount of mayo. Dang it! I forgot to grab table 9 a ranch. Oh well, too late now.

A flash of yellow hair caught my eye down the street. I squinted my eyes slightly to confirm and was disappointed to know that there wasn't a doubt the hair belonged to Victoria. She had a short dress on that wasn't appropriate for the chilly weather. Her hair was swept into a ponytail and bounced back and forth with each step. She sat at the chair across from mine at the table.

"Please, seat yourself," I said with a hint of sarcasm.

Her eyes narrowed and her smile widened showing that she picked up on it, "don't mind if I do. How's your day going?"

I rolled my eyes, "it was going pretty great."

She looked at her fingernails, "Well, I found out something that I think you would like to know."

I raised one eyebrow and waited for her to continue.

She glanced at me and began to play with her ponytail, "well the knowledge of your angel is still unknown for me. But I did find out something about that mark of yours."

I frowned, "what mark?"

She rolled her eyes and grabbed my wrist. I snatched it away as fast as I could and glared at her.

She huffed, "look on the inside of your wrist."

I turned it slightly and noticed for the first time a small line with a circle on top of it across my wrist that was black and outlined with the slightest hint of glowing gold.

"It only shows when you're around an angel. That's why you didn't know it was there."

I furrowed my eyebrows, "how could I not have noticed it whenever I was around Z? Where did it come from?"

A fiery spark seemed to flit through her eyes, "Apparently you're just an unobservant girl. Besides it's not like you and Z spent that much time together."

I bit back a snark comment about the last sentence and instead chose to ask again, "where did it come from?"

She looked straight into my eyes, "did Z ever touch you? Maybe in a moment of strong emotion such as anger?"