ONE.

one of the first tips for writing glee fanfiction is the relationships between characters; how do your original characters, assuming you're using them, tie into the canon storylines? are they friends with the glee clubbers, the cheerios, the football team? are they adults and friends with the teachers? are they a student or a teacher's family member? it is crucial that you set up proper relationships between your original characters and canon characters.

on the other hand, if you are writing canon ship fanfiction ( i.e. klaine, finchel, samcedes, etc. ), it is slightly different. if you've decided to make it an AU ( alternate universe ) story, you can set up relationships between the characters however you'd like. if you are attempting to keep your story fairly similar to the actual show, try to keep the relationships as similar to the show as you can.

with oc x canon fics, you're already writing an AU, seeing as how you're adding another character or two that was not previously in the show. in that case, you have one of two options: you can either one; change up the story however you'd like ( in which you would make it very clear that it is an AU ), or two; write your character into the plotline. what i do with my glee fanfiction is write my characters into the show, and i do that by taking notes on the show and seeing where i can put them in without causing too much damage.

i hope that was enough information for you! thank you for reading this chapter!