Part 1

She woke up with a start, gasping and out of breath.

It was a dream. One that she did not expect to get. One that she had no idea even existed in her mind. But there it was, like a memory that was buried deep down, too painful to keep and remember.

It started with a heart-wrenching pain that tore her heart apart. What was it? Why was she feeling this way? She had lost something precious, but what? How could she know what it was when she did not even know she had lost anything at all? But there he was, standing like the prince he was by an altar that was familiar even though she could not have seen it before. Could she?

Then, just as suddenly as it came, the rest started to fall into place. He was someone she loved, more than reason, more than life.

She grew up with a desire to always wanting to be the best at everything. She wanted her father's approval. She wasn't born a son, but she did not let that stop her from entering her kingdom's army and training to become part of the elite forces. Her real identity was kept close to the heart of her people. The people who watched her grow and grew to love her.

At first, they found her strange. A princess who played with swords as much as she played house. A princess who became as much a warrior as she was her father's daughter. She never shied away from her duties nor her lessons. She knew her place, but she knew her heart, as well. So she made sure to become a master of all that was expected of her.

She spent just as much time learning etiquette, decorum, politics of the courts, kingdom-relations, household management, languages, and book-keeping, as she did knife-fighting and throwing, horse-riding, sword-fighting, hand-to-hand combat, bow-and-arrow, and even the art of espionage. She could hold court with the wittiest noblemen. She could manage the household staff as well as her mother. She could entertain foreign dignitaries as well as her father. She could dance as well as any courtier or even the palace dancers if it comes down to it. So when she showed that she could fight with the best of her father's warriors and hold her own, she earned the respect of her superiors, her people and, most importantly, her parents.

Unfortunately, life is never without its challenges. Alas, not everybody could accept her as the next in line. It wasn't anything personal, but she was, after all, a woman. The crown had always been handed down to the next male heir. Sure, their ancestors had daughters, but this case was unprecedented, for none had shown as much aptitude and capability as she did. This did not bode well for the king's younger brother. He might want it for himself, but he wanted it for his legacy, just as much. For he had no daughter, but a son. Now, if only this son was as ambitious as she was. As it was, the cousins were fast friends. They grew up together and had always sought each other's comfort when one was in need of encouragement.

Aliana loved her cousin dearly, and Ivan loved her just as much. She was always there for him and he had always admired her drive from when they were young. He had a gentle soul and had always wished to be a writer or a poet, one loved by all the kingdoms and remembered for his tales through the homes of the rich or the poor. Ivan dreamt of dragon-defeating princess warriors, while the princess dreamt of defeating the dragons in her life. They were quite a pair. As such, Ivan constantly disappointed his father, but still, this did not deter his father from having ambitions that included him, even when Ivan had no notion of it.

So when princes came, a plan was set in motion. Every 3 years, the allied kingdoms would send 10 of their elite force to train together for a full year. The kingdoms alternated in hosting this training. It was meant to forge a stronger bond between the allies as they help train the best warriors, ensure strong communication and friendship, and for the host kingdom to have the opportunity to have their forces and defenses tested and improved upon.