Chapter 1

As I swung out of the window, its shards flew around me, refracting the moonlight in a magnificent fashion. The rays of light hitting me must have made my form look even more enthralling than it already was. But alas, the moment had to pass, as I impacted on the hard concrete floor, breaking my bones and rupturing my precious organs. I spat blood as I impacted, and my consciousness faded.

Naturally, I then proceeded to get up as if nothing happened. Healing magics are quite the treat, but nothing compares to a power as glorious as mine. The window resealed itself behind me, not leaving a single scratch as I sprinted away into the dark of night; the beautiful globule I had thieved firmly held within my grasp.

"Ah, how beautiful the moon was on this lovely night, and how exquisite the powers it granted. For you see, there is a reason I am the gentleman who dashes through the night, as it grants many wonderful enhancements to my form," I monologued as I gracefully climbed up the outside of a building, sirens blaring behind me.

Another heist well done. I would expect nothing less from myself of course, but this one was of special importance to me, personally.

"My lady, tonight is the night that we've been waiting for, for so many years."

I looked down at the orb I had stolen, a small light shimmering within the obsidian stone. I was happy, truly. My dear friend shall finally return.

I heard another crash behind me. Blasted, not again, not another one of those dastardly heroes. One of them had landed on the building behind me and was leaping from building to building in a hot pursuit.

"Ey bro, what'cha done there ain't right, so stop runnin' like a lil' bitch and hand over dat loot," the muscled man with a blond buzzcut and clad in a tank top yelled at me. "Or I'll have ta beat it out of you, ya lil' pussy."

I continued running. Why did it have to be him? I could have reasoned with any other, or at least tried to. I am no more than a simple thief to them, and I would never let anyone get hurt but myself in my exploits, but he would never pass up a chance to beat someone senseless, even if they gave up.

"I do apologize, but I do not have the intention of letting either myself or my lady fall victim to your cruelty." With those words, I dove down the buildings edge, trying to roll, but failing and landing headfirst on the pavement and shattering my neck.

After but a few seconds, I got up and started running into one of the buildings, the degenerate muscle head hot on my trail. Luckily, the locks in this city were dreadfully easy to pick, but I sadly did not have the time to relock them behind me, the stakes were too great.

"Excuse me, but your house door is unlocked, do not mind me passing through," I yelled as I ran through the apartment complex, hopefully awakening the residents. It would be terrible if someone broke in here just because of my carelessness.

I heard the noise of crashing doors behind me, and a loud, most likely drunk voice yelled: "Alright, whoever has seen 'im better talks, or Imana have to rip this building apart to find him."
He then proceeded to brag about how great he was in bed and that any "hot gals" should call him, loudly reciting his phone number.

Luckily that gave me a bit more time than I had anticipated to have. I eventually found and unlocked another fitting door, relocking it behind me as to not leave any traces, and ran towards the next window and crashed through it, letting neither my footsteps, nor the window make a single sound and resealing the window behind me. Wouldn't want anyone to need to buy a new window or get a heartattack due to a loud noise. It certainly would not be gentlemanly, and even though I am a criminal in the eyes of the law, I do still consider myself a servant of the people, with only occasional bouts of self-interest.

Once outside, I lifted up a manhole cover and slipped into it, escaping into my lair. I will spare you the details of how I made it there, as those were rather disgusting and would force me to wash my form-fitted coat at least a dozen times, but it was worth it to quickly escape that blithering buffoon.

As I entered my personally decorated hideout, I breathed for a bit. I had finally gotten the final ingredient to getting my dear, dear friend back: her soul stone. For even my gentlemanly powers were not enough to bring a deceased friend back from the dead. But now, as I held it within my hand, I finally had hope again. Let's hope that that The Chad would not destroy our plans again. I never thought to have to fight against another avatar of masculinity. But I presume toxic masculinity is an aspect of it just like gentlemanliness is. A sad truth. Heh.Thank you, Clemence. I would never have made it without your gift of life.