Chapter 1: Leaving

I watched as my phone rang, once, twice, I wasn't sure if I could do this, if I could tell my best friend that I would never see her again.

"Hey girl, what's up? You never call this late at night." Alya's voice brought tears to my eyes as I realized that this would be the last time I heard it.

"Alya," I said, my voice breaking, "I have to go."

"What do you mean Marinette? Have you been crying? Are you in some sort of trouble?"

"No, I'm not in any sort of trouble, but I have been crying. I mean I'm moving away, and I won't be coming back. I'm leaving, forever." I put my hand over my mouth as I sobbed silently, I didn't want her to hear.

"You can't be leaving, not now. We were supposed to stick together. We have more time before you go, right?"

"No, I leave tomorrow morning, at 3. It is my duty to go." I had to try and sound composed, but on the inside my heart was breaking.

"We can stay in contact though, right? I'll call you, and you can call me. I'll train carrier pigeons if I have to. I'll save my money and I'll come to you, you can't leave like this." Alya was crying now.

"Where I'm going I can't exactly use my phone and I'm not allowed to tell you where I'm going. I love you with all my heart Alya, but for now this is goodbye. I truly hope that we meet again someday." I hung up before Alya could say anything, if she had said anything it would have made everything so much harder.

I put the back of my head against the wall and continued to cry for what felt like an eternity.

"Marinette," Tikki, my sweet voice of reason said, bringing me out of my trance, "you have to tell Chat Noir. He deserves to know that you are leaving, and you will be taking the Miracle Box with you."

"I know Tikki, but I also know that when I do it, my heart will break once again." I said, thinking about the duty I have to my pun-loving partner.

"Well, you only have seven more hours until you leave. That seems like a lot now, but it'll go by so quickly. I suggest you go see him fairly soon." Tikki looked at me solemnly, knowing that this would be one of the hardest things that I had ever done.

"You're right, I'll go now. I don't want to waste any more time. Tikki, spots on!"

I felt the familiar spandex-like fabric cling to me as it magically appeared. I was 16 now, and had been Ladybug for nearly three years, so I was all too familiar with this feeling that, at the moment, brought me great sadness.

I walked up the steps on my loft and, when I reached the top, opened the hatch. I stepped out, feeling the cool breeze of the April night wash over me. As I looked out at the city that I loved and had saved countless times. Who knew when or if I would return, I had to take in every last moment of it.

I jumped up to the rooftop of the building next to me and began to run. This feeling never got old, the feeling of near invincibility, the extra strength, agility, and balance. It was enough to give someone a major adrenaline rush. As I jumped from building to building I got closer to the Eiffel Tower, so when I knew I had close enough I unhooked my yo-yo from around my waist and swung it towards the Tower. It latched itself onto a bar and I gave it a small tug that sent me flying in the air towards my destination.

As I got higher the air tasted sweeter and sweeter, until I reached the bar where Chat Noir and I so often would meet.

I waited patiently, knowing that if I was here that Chat wouldn't be far behind.

"Good evening m'lady." Chat Noir said while bowing to add a bit of flair.

Watching him bow was a trigger, I knew that if I turned towards him now, he would see the tears in my eyes.