Turn

He's his own person, able to function just fine before Bonnie and Damon arrived; or so he's convinced himself. It's easier to pine for a version of himself that never existed than to admit he's actually missing someone. Without anyone to hide for he drops the cloaking and spends half a day lying on the four poster bed, tracing grooves in the white ceiling with his eyes. Hour six comes and he decides it's just sad. A whole new town and the only places he's visited so far are their stupidly beautiful old boarding house, the house opposite, and Foodmart. Mystic Falls must get its name from somewhere. Time to find out. First stop is the Mystic Grill, the kitchen is equipped with an above average cooker (nothing compared to the ones in France) and he decides he's craving barbecue- purely out of hunger, not because it's the most fragrant thing he can think of and he's daring someone to come and investigate the root of the smell. Then he takes a particularly loud motorcycle ride from one end of the town to the other. All of this goes on without incident.

A few weeks later and he's explored every inch of the town, listening out carefully for any unexpected local citizens that might happen upon him. With a population of three he manages to leave Bonnie's magic, within himself, untouched, it lasts surprisingly long when he's not using it. No chance meetings with Cheech and Chong. No matter how close through the woods he finds himself wandering towards their residence- before reminding his feet that he's tuning out of that particular show.

Turns out the 'Mystic' part is just hyperbole on a waterfall on the outskirts of town, adjacent to the poorly named 'Wickery Bridge'. He starts skipping stones over the edge. By the fifth stone he's bored enough to imagine a certain witch happening upon him here, pretending to be surprised at seeing another person. What would she think of him? There would be no telling her the truth, that's for sure.

Kai's smart enough to realise he wants to go back and check on her-them before by the end of week four. What was he even mad about? It's been too long and for all knows her might be missing out on some useful information. Reasoning with himself that it'll only be once, and there's no need to make it an issue in his mind. It's natural curiosity. Plus he's bored and those two are just so damn entertaining.

She's reading when he climbs in through her open window. Head already inside, one foot on the desk, the other lifting off the roof tile outside and ready to join the other. He spots her on the bed. Lying flat on her stomach, a book open in her hands, legs in the air and derriere draped in pink silk shorts.

This was a bad idea.

He's moving back out when the desk gives the smallest squeak and all his limbs freeze. Her legs stop mid swing and her head turns towards the desk. In one swift motion she's sitting up and 'The Picture of Dorian Gray' is contracting on her cushion. Bonnie's sitting up on her knees with eyes wider than he's ever seen them. Worse. They're staring right at his own.

He forgot to cloak.

It's a stupid mistake. Careless. Especially when he could have sworn he did it on the way over. And it's cost him every single meet cute he was planning.

'Damon!' She yells and the vampire is there in a flash.

Well there's no going back now. He untangles himself and silently steps off the furniture, fixing two feet solidly on the ground, planning what to say.

So far the only strong opening line he's landed on is Hi. I'm Kai. Nice to meet you.

Bonnie points at him and he's expecting Damon to strangle the intruder but he just stands there, whiskey glass loose in hand as he looks in Kai's direction.

'I heard something.' She explains.

'That's it?'

'It was a squeak.'