Chapter 22 - I Meet An Old Friend

January 21, 2020.

By the time the rest of the week had gone by and a new one had started, my dad had officially forgotten about the whole basketball fiasco. From all I knew, he had only come home early once or twice to confirm I was there before abandoning the whole thing. He was apparently satisfied that I was off the team, though, because he didn't bring it up again. I had gone to my first practice being back on the team yesterday, where it went pretty well overall. I had practiced a little since being suspended from the team, but I had to avoid it whenever my dad was around so he'd stay ignorant. I saw a little decline in my performance compared to the last game I had played, but it wasn't anything huge. At least, that's what I thought.

I went home at regular time from practice yesterday just to be cautious that I wasn't caught missing, where I had read a text from the coach saying that he had chosen that Chance would return to starting shooting guard position and that I would be playing in the secondary (or backup) team. Which meant that I wouldn't be starting in the game later today. I was pretty annoyed at this, but I was determined not to make a big deal out of it. I knew I'd get my chance again, if I just continued to work hard and do my best with the time I got. Still, it did bug me. Why did the coach give Chance the position over me? We had both gotten into the fight and I had been a starter before the fight, so why didn't I get the position back?

"You should pay attention, man," said Wesley, nudging my arm.

I glanced over at him and then back to the front of the classroom suddenly, trying to estimate how long it had been since I had stopped paying attention.

"Aren't we about to leave?" I asked him after reading the clock on the wall.

"Should be," he said, "but you know Mrs. Nickels. It's not over till it's over."

"Right," I muttered, sinking down in my seat a little.

Mrs. Nickels apparently noticed this motion, though, because she instantly shot me a look.

"Finding me class boring now are ve?" she said in her exotic accent. "Not listening to vot Mrs. Nickels has to says, hmm?"

"No, I'm listening," I ensured.

"Really?" said the teacher, looking surprised. "Then vot is it I say, boy?"

Wesley looked over at me, trying not to laugh. "Well now, let's see..." I tried to rack my brain, but I hadn't been listening after all. "That's a great question."

"Vell you better study hard for the quiz this Friday, because it vill be a hard one."

"I will do that," I said.

"Now," Mrs. Nickels said, looking at the clock and forgetting about the previous conversation. "Sporty kids, out. Your bus vill be leaving soon."

"That's us," Wesley said, and he and I grabbed our bags and headed for the door.

"Oh, and boys?"

"Yes Mrs. Nickels?" we asked.

"Beat Southridge for us," she said. "It has been avile since our team has beat them."

"Will do," said Wesley as we walked out of the classroom to a chorus of 'good luck' from the students.

Wesley and I walked toward the stairwell together.

"When did JV basketball become so popular?" I asked. "At the beginning of the season, no one could care less about our games as long as varsity did well."

"It became so popular when people started watching you play," Wesley answered.

"Well," I said, "they're gonna be disappointed tonight."