Chapter 24 - I Go On A Valentine's Date

February 14, 2020.

I started in four games over the next two weeks. We won the first against Lakewood, lost the second and third against Crestwood Prep and Fort Myers, and won the fourth against Westminister Academy. It wasn't exactly the glorious comeback we'd hoped for, but it kept us in there. The starting team in all four of the games had been Jackson, me, Wesley, Cam, and Xavier. And not to brag or anything, but we did pretty well together. Jackson and I played even better together now that we truly understood each other. I was never on the floor with Chance, so that wasn't a problem and Cam had stopped actively trying to sabotage me during games, which also helped matters a little. Cam, Nathan, and Max had come up to me several times since the truth came out, but they never ended up saying anything. I knew they were trying to apologize for thinking I was selfish and stuff, but they just didn't know how. And I didn't either. I had originally thought that it was just a small fight, but it had put a block in our friendship that neither of us knew how to remove. I realized that it would be more painful to yank it out than to just leave it in there.

My fifth game back as starter would be later tonight, and so I spent the majority of my health class mentally preparing and memorizing plays. It was against Mater Academy Charter, who were above us in the league so it was going to be a tough game. It was also a pep rally, which meant that more people were going to be there watching than usual. Since health was a pretty lax first period class, it was the perfect opportunity for me to prepare.

"Psst!" Aubrey nudged me with her foot, but I decided to ignore her. She had been bothering me the whole class about new celebrity feuds or school drama or something. I wasn't too sure what, but whatever it was, it was nothing I needed right now. "Blake!" she persisted. "Oh, come on Blake. I know you can hear me. Stop ignoring me!"

"Look, I'm sorry but I'm just trying to focus on getting the plays straight in my head for tonight. Okay?"

"All I was going to say is that I hope you do well tonight."

"Oh, well thanks," I was surprised that she wasn't trying to gossip for once.

"Of course, and I was also wondering if you had something you'd like to ask me?"

I thought about it and then just shook my head. "Not that I can think of, why?"

"Nothing about a certain day?"

I squinted my eyebrows and then thought of something. "Yeah, actually. Did you and Harper ever get past whatever happened a few weeks ago?"

This time it was Aubrey's turn to be confused. "What? Something happened between us? I mean, she's not sitting with me and the girls anymore, but I'm not exactly sure why not."

"Yeah, Harper said that you and she... you know what, never mind. Bell's about to ring."

"Wait, no I was going to—"

But I had already gotten up to throw some scratch paper away. Harper hadn't been sitting with Aubrey because she'd been sitting with me, Austin, and Wesley. But if she never got into an argument with Aubrey, then why'd she want to sit with us in the first place? I decided to put the matter aside and worry about the upcoming game.

The game didn't go as well as I'd hoped. I ended up scoring 8 points, which was pretty good, but we ultimately lost the game. Despite the loss, I actually felt like it was one of the best games our team had played. We all seemed to be on the same page, which was a first considering the pretty terrible team chemistry we had. We all played our hearts out, they just played better.

"We'll get them next time," the coach told our whole team after the game. "It was a good game, though, and I'm proud of all of you. I got to coach the varsity game next, so you all find your families and stay and watch if you feel like it. We'll talk more in practice on Monday. If I don't see you, enjoy your weekends."