TEN

"Where're you going?" Dex asked as Sophie veered away from their regular, every-day table at lunch.

Sophie bit her lip. "Fitz asked me to sit with him and his friends yesterday—I hope you don't mind."

Dex looked like he was about to explode as he said, "So, when were you going to tell us any of this?" He asked. "Is that what you were talking to him about yesterday?"

Sophie begrudgingly nodded.

Dex scoffed. "You lied to us! You said he wanted to know about your eyepatch! Why would you do that?"

"I'm sorry, Dex, but I knew if I told you you'd freak out because you hate the Vackers."

"Oh, so you don't trust me?" Dex's voice was getting louder. "I know I'd be a little aggravated, but when people lie to me, that's when I freak out!"

"Well I'm sorry I didn't realize I had check with you before I made other friends. I can't help that I'm not just a part of your stupid 'Geek Group' clique!"

Dex's face darkened. "Fine," He said. "You can go hang out with them—the rude, boastful, popular, preppy Clique. We don't need people that are going to put us down."

"Dex, that's not what I meant. I—"

"Are you okay, Sophie?" Fitz had just come over.

"Right," Dex said, nodding at Fitz. "You can take her—she'll fit right in with your selfish group."

Then he walked away, leaving Sophie speechless.

"What was that about?" Fitz asked, putting a hand on her shoulder and tilting his head so Sophie would look at him, but she didn't.

Sophie felt tears sting her eyes as she pulled away from him and ran out of the lunchroom and into the closest bathroom.

As soon as she went in the dumped her whole tray in the trashcan and locked herself in one of the stalls. She tried to hold it back, but she couldn't. She let the ugly sobs echo through the bathroom and fill her heart with regret.

Then she heard someone come in the bathroom. But this person just made the situation a million times more embarrassing and terrible.

"Foster?" Keefe asked, standing outside of her stall. "Are you alright?"

Sophie sniffled before opening the stall door. She saw Keefe standing there, his arms wide open for a hug.

Sophie didn't know Keefe that well, but she still found herself falling into the hug and crying even more.

After standing there for a minute or two, Sophie asked a really random, but very intelligent question. "W-why are you in the girls bathroom?"

Keefe leaned back from the hug, biting his lip. "I'm not—I'm in the boys bathroom."

Sophie felt her whole face burn with embarrassment as she burst into more tears. She finally realized that she must've not been thinking straight and accidentally walked into the wrong bathroom.

"Don't worry Foster," He patted her back. "Everyone's at lunch—no one saw you except me."

And that didn't help the situation.

"Here, why don't we go somewhere else?" He led her out of the boys bathroom and through the hallway, the whole time his arm was around her.

Then he brought her into a room decorated in green. "Here," He said, handing her a glass of lemonade.