01 | Setting Ramadan Goals

◽▪◽▪◽

Last Ramadan came and went, and it possibly passed in the same way as it did the year before- with much vigour and excitement until both were replaced with a game of catchup. The arrival of Ramadan marks a new opportunity that Allah has blessed us with so that we may rectify our actions and accumulate deeds faster than we could at any other time of the year. In the excitement of it all, we often set extravagant goals that are far beyond our capabilities, impossible to achieve within the time frame (with respect to our current circumstances). We may not even set any goals at all. Perhaps you will make this year a little different.

Planning is the bridge that closes the gaps between dreams and realities. Although cliche', the saying "If you fail to plan, then you plan to fail" is very true. If we are to achieve the goals we aspire to, then the first step is to set our goals followed by adequate planning. In this chapter, we will cover two main ideas: SMART Goals and the inbuilt planning mechanisms that can help to bring those goals into existence. By doing so, the aim is to empower you with the tools necessary so that perhaps you will make this year a little different.

We will start with SMART Goals, which can be defined as clear and concise statements that outline the expectations that you set for yourself. A vital trait of SMART Goals is their ability to pierce through the vagueness of dreams by repeatedly asking us to define exactly what we want, how we will achieve it, how we know we are achieving these goals and the importance of these goals. By doing so, the very fear that often grounds us will motivate us to not only meet our goals but exceed them.

The SMART acronym is dissected below. To better explain each of the constituents, we'll use "Memorising Quran" as an example.

Specific

This deals with the clarity of the goal you aim to achieve. Be very specific. The more specific you are, the easier it will be for you to plan it out. Our example goal, "Memorising Quran", is very broad. How much Quran do you plan on memorising? Do you want to memorise one Surah or one page? Maybe you want to memorise the entire Quran. Think!

A specific goal will usually answer these questions:

- What will you accomplish?

- How will you accomplish it?

- Who is involved in the realisation of this goal?

- Why do you want to achieve this goal?

Answering each of these will help you identify what it is you want to the most minute of details, In Sha Allah.

Measurable

How will you know you are making progress? By having something that gives you an insight into your performance. Any progress you make must be measurable. In our example goal, "Memorise Quran", it is easy to measure progress in pages memorised. Every page you memorise is one more than what you had memorised before. The tangibility of your progress will empower you to do more. You will realise your capabilities and further dedicate yourself to your goal, In Sha Allah.

Achievable/Attainable

A goal that is unachievable is a goal you will definitely fail. That is why it is imperative that you outline a goal that is achievable. Just to clarify, I am not saying choose a goal that is within your immediate reach or comfort zone. Your goals must be just outside of your current capacity so that you may grow and gain new skills. So choose a goal that you know you can achieve by extending yourself just a bit. When you repeat this multiple times, you will improve many times over. 

Relevant

We often get caught on the productivity train, ferociously writing goals and concocting elaborate dreams, all the while forgetting that setting a goal is a mean to an end. The relevance of your goal should answer "Why am I doing this?". The element that is most seducing about goals is their ability to bring into reality what we have in our minds. Therefore, it is always important to remember that whatever goal we have for ourselves serves a greater purpose.

In our example goal, "Memorising Quran", the relevance comes from our desire to gain the pleasure of Allah in the holiest of months.

Time-Bound

A goal that is not bound by time is merely a dream. This is because having an infinite timeline in which to complete that goal will inevitably lead to "I'll start tomorrow" and "I still have time". Specifying a time is as important as specifying the goal itself. Hence, you need to answer the question of "By when do I want to accomplish this goal?".

Let's put everything we have spoken about into one wholistic goal: "Memorising Quran".

By the 29th of Ramadan 2020, I will have memorised 20 pages of Quran from Surah Al Baqarah to gain the pleasure of Allah and increase my rewards. I will do this by memorising 1-page per day for five days of the week so that in 4-weeks I will have memorised 20 pages. I will ensure I remain on target by monitoring my memorisation progress at the end of every week. I will use a checklist to mark off the pages I memorise and report back to my friend who is helping me with this task.

I ask Allah to make that which was written above of benefit for you during this month and of benefit for you in the Hereafter; with the absence of Eid's festivities this year, there will be little ecstasy after Ramadan to numb the disappointment of falling short in our goals - again. Think about that and perhaps you will make this year a little different.

◽▪◽▪◽

Written by: RiadNaanai

Edited by: HopeGossamer

◽▪◽▪◽