Chapter 25 "Desperation and Realization"

A/N:  If you realize, even though Flippsie the Raccoon is a pirate animatronic, he doesn't speak in pirate language but English.  He does know the pirate dilalect; he just prefers to not use it every day.

        Foxy the Pirate stared at Sally the Swash in shock and disbelief. It seemed like the whole world was shifting beneath his metal feet. He flitted his eyes from Sally, Toga, to the new Barnacle the Brave, and back again. He remembered how Barnacle looked like back in the early years. The new Barnacle looked just like the old one but that didn't mean he was the same animatronic. His old form had a bug in his endoskeletal system and was scheduled for a shutdown. As a result, he was trashed and made from scratch under a new endoskeleton. What Foxy was looking at was a totally different person. 

        "Th' skinbags even designed a real moniker fer him," murmured Sally, her voice caught in her throat. "His moniker be actually Coby th' Cub." I'd rather Coby than to damage Barnacle's moniker as a hostage, thought Foxy. "But under th' Buccaneer Code 'o Conduct," she continued, "we must call him by Barnacle." 

        Foxy looked at Toga hopelessly but the black fox had remained silent like the shadows. 

        Barnacle looked up at Foxy, his moonlike eyes and eternally grinning teeth shining in the dim backstage. "Why do ye look so beaten up, Cap'n?" he asked in his high, cheery voice. 

        "I was left in th' Pirate's Cove back at Freddy's place," admitted Foxy abruptly, not caring who this Barnacle was to him anymore. This is not Barnacle. "They left me to rot. I only weapon in one or a pair 'o their shows. Bin be mad because they took me away from here, me beloved home. I wee bit a child's head 'n was left unaccompanied, rottin' away as th' the hour went by." 

        Barnacle had took a few moments before replying, "Whoa! That sounds cool!" 

        "He still needs more the hour wit' his brain," Toga whispered into Foxy's ear. 

        Shocked gasps mixed with murmurs came from the main room. They were loud with curiosity as Foxy heard a new set of feet approaching Backstage. He saw the newcomer's shadow and already knew who it was, before they could even enter. 

        "Flippsie, matey!" he exclaimed. His heart welled with affection at the sight of Flippsie carrying Aria the Wolf. Her eyes were black and functionless, her jaws gaped. But along with Flippsie was an animatronic Foxy had thought he'd never see again. 

        A white rabbit clad in royal red sauntered up with his round chest regally erect. He held his hands behind his back and he kicked his feet in a rather easy and flamboyant stride. He held his chin up and had one eye halfway open, eyeing Foxy indifferently. 

        "Well, well, if 't be true t isn't the pirate that trashed mine cabin," the rabbit said. 

        Foxy was surprised that he had decided to come to Celebration Lagoon after all. "Pittsley!" he exclaimed. "I thought I'd never spy wit' ye eye ye in a scurvy pirate's home." 

        "Neither has't I  ," stated Pittsley. "But mine home wast undone by human helicopters. I hadst nowhere else to liveth after that tragedy; that wast at which hour I cameth across thy cousin hither named Flippsie. that gent hath given if 't be true I wanted to cometh along. So I hadst no choice but to followeth thy cousin." 

        Foxy nodded in understanding. "That's understandable." 

        Flippsie had placed Aria down gently on a cushioned bench. He sauntered up to Toga, overlooking Sally completely and shaking Toga's hand. "Nice to meet ye guys again," he greeted with a cheeky grin, "especially after a month." Foxy envied how they had seemed to enjoy his return. But he couldn't blame them because Foxy was gone for four years and Flippsie only vanished for a month to find him again. Foxy noticed that when Flippsie made eye contact with Sally, he grimaced. Sally only sneered flamboyantly. 

        "'tis great to have barnacle-covered buckos back," teased Sally, poking Flippsie in his brawny chest. 

        Flippsie frowned and bared his teeth. "Ye piece 'o metal," he growled. 

        "But we're all metal here!" Barnacle exclaimed in his usual chirpy voice. 

        Flippsie swung his head around at the new voice. He then looked down at the new Barnacle, astonishment sidling to his purple, scarred face. "Who's this?" he asked in a low, surprised tone. 

        "It's Barnacle." declared Toga, quickly adding, "The new Barnacle the Brave." 

        "I told you I'm Coby!" retorted the fox cub. 

        Sally stepped up beside Flippsie, standing shockingly close to his side. "Oh, I thought ye knew." 

        Foxy noticed that Flippsie's face was becoming the expression of guiltiness. He flitted his eyes anxiously around the room, as if hoping for a spirit to take him away. He went over to Flippsie's side, leaning inward. 

        "What does she mean by 'she thought ye knew'?" mumbled Foxy in Flippsie's ear, where the others couldn't hear him clearly. 

        Flippsie darted handsome purple eyes at him as they glistened with unease. "I have nothing to do with the new Barnacle!" he hissed through clenched teeth. 

        "Ye must have somethin' to do wit' him!" he snapped, getting closer to his face, his golden eyes shining with simmering rage. 

        "Why are you accusing me of doing something wrong when we should be happy about being back home?" 

        "Ye've brought Aria!" cried Foxy, his unexpectedly loud voice making Flippsie wince back with both shock and pain. Those words wasn't what Foxy had in mind. He never expected to say such a thing. I made Aria because I wanted her to journey along wit' me so I wouldn't have to be alone, he thought solemnly. But Flippsie came wit' me th' whole way 'n Aria be gone... but I still want her back!

        Flippsie's brows furrowed, shaking his head slowly. "Why, that was my plan, matey." His voice was barely a whisper, but a faint breath of a defeated angel. "I wanted her to be in our ship crew. Somehow, she'll be repaired to a new -." 

        "No! No! No-o!" Foxy wailed 'til his lungs sore. "No! Would ye shut up!? damn ta hell! damn ta hell it! Shut! Up!"  

        Deafening silence stood thick in the air like a heavy dark fog. He was breathing heavily now, his nostrils flared and lips drawn back in a snarl. He looked like a complete, terrifying monster. All four sets of eyes gazed at him with surprise - so was Barnacle, but his undying smile couldn't be taken seriously.  

        A fleet of heavy footsteps barged up towards the backstage. Unusual clatter and rapid, muted mutters came closer. What do these skinbags 'n their purses want?

        Suddenly, with a faint sense of fear, a horde of dark-clothed humans clotted up the offstage. Each were armed with pistols. The row of humans that led the group bore shields. 

        "It's a SWAT team!" Exclaimed Barnacle in a jolly voice. 

        "Prepare to surrender now!" declared a male SWAT member, one of the shield-holders. 

        With fury already simmering in his system, Foxy spun at the horde and leapt, pushing all the force in his haunches, spreading his arms out and clattering his jaws menacingly like a signature move, eyes glazing like two suns.