6. Rot and Remains

"I met your new witch."

Levi didn't look up from his desk at Farlan's voice.

"And you emerged unscathed," he drawled. "Impressive."

He was sweaty and exhausted after drills and hadn't even had the time to wash his face or arms before rushing to his study to read the backlog of letters that had piled up in the short time he was away. A messenger had arrived that morning with news that Lord Erwin would be passing through in less than a week and had nothing more to say on the matter. Levi could only assume he'd missed some prior letter that would shed further light on the reason.

Farlan wandered along the shelves of the study, tapping the spines of untouched books and dragging his expensive boot soles loudly along the flagstones. He could tell the wizard was bored, which was amusing because it meant Eren hadn't entertained him as much as he'd expected. Every witch seemed to react to him in different degrees; when Ilse had first arrived, she'd steered around him with averted eyes like he was some nasty spoiled Lord's son whose attention was better avoided. Farlan had found endless delight in hounding the poor witch with patronizing questions about her Craft, responding to each quiet and careful explanation with an obnoxious 'how?' in a chain that never seemed to end until Levi intervened.

"I expected an old woman when I heard you were bringing one from a country village." His voice was almost accusing, like he partially blamed Levi for his ruined game. He probably thought an older witch would be easier to antagonize. Levi should introduce him to Hanji sometime; now that was something he wouldn't emerge from unscathed.

"What did he do?" Levi asked indulgently. He was more concerned with the heap of papers on his desk, but Farlan could get tetchy if he felt neglected and he'd rather play agony aunt than have his squad distracted from their duties babysitting him.

"Nothing."

"He didn't care much for you, did he?" Levi guessed, and the silence was enough answer. Levi's lips twitched and he glanced up to see the other man pause by the window and frown, as if unable to comprehend why or how anyone could ignore him. Wizards were a proud lot. Levi could attest there was no greater affront to their dignity than indifference or dismissal. Intentionally or not, Eren had struck a nerve and Farlan would be licking his wounds for days.

The wizard sniffed and adjusted his mantle, brushing the shoulders of imagined lint.

"He had other things on his mind."

"Such as?"

He'd make himself feel important again by making leading statements to which people would have to dig and burrow for answers.

"I think he feels uncomfortable working in Ilse's room."

Levi finally abandoned his efforts sifting through the paperwork to give Farlan his complete attention. Farlan looked pleased and pretended to be occupied by a loose thread on his sleeve. Levi sighed, exhausted and impatient.

"What do you mean?"

"He seemed very distracted by how well preserved all her things were. He hadn't changed a thing when I went down to visit, but rather set up shop in a small corner of the bench." Farlan shrugged nonchalantly, as if this observation could be nothing at all. "If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say your little witch-boy is feeling a little insecure. Wouldn't stop asking about her."

Coupled with what little he'd gleaned of the past witch from Levi's nightmare, he could imagine how acutely Eren was interpreting all the lingering traces of Ilse's presence.

"What did you say to him?"

"I said you were all very close to her, hence why you hadn't touched her chambers."