8. Afraid

The next week blew Erwin in like an unwelcome storm front.

"The Most Honourable Erwin Smith," his herald announced as the small procession of horses cantered into the military base centre. Levi didn't bother trying to assemble his soldiers to greet him; they were busy with training and Erwin never minded all that formality. He still winced every time he was introduced by his formal address despite having had lifetime to grow accustomed to it.

Levi came out of his study to greet him, shrugging on his coat and rubbing his bare hands against the frosty chill of the early morning. He waited for the Marquis to alight, stamping his feet as his breaths appeared in clouds before his face. Erwin wore a great big, fur-lined cloak that looked like it weighed seven stones and he probably wouldn't feel a breeze in a hurricane. He smiled at Levi, and at once the latter knew something was off. He'd had that feeling ever since Erwin's vague letter mentioning he'd be stopping by without any allusion to the reason for his visit, but this diplomatically polite smile didn't belong this side of the Scouts gate, and it instantly set Levi's teeth on edge with suspicion.

"My Lord," he greeted formally with a nod. Erwin's lips pressed into a thin line and an annoyed crease appeared between his brows. As far as Levi was concerned, he'd started it when he brought that duplicitous politician smile here. "What's this about?"

"Not even going to invite your Lord in for tea first?"

Levi noted the rolled up scroll in Erwin's hand. Erwin noted him noting it and almost made to tuck it back out of sight in the inner folds of his ridiculous cloak before realising the pointlessness of the gesture.

"Looks more business than pleasure. I have a feeling I'm going to want to kick you out, so why bother getting comfortable." He crossed his arms and stared up defiantly at the other man. Erwin's herald looked appalled behind him, like he couldn't believe Levi would speak to his Lord in such a manner. He must be new.

"It's a new mission," Erwin explained, his voice a resigned sigh. He looked down at the scroll in his grip and tapped it idly against the knuckles of his other hand.

"You never hand deliver missions." Levi's eyes narrowed into slits. "You know I'm going to refuse, that's why you're here."

"I also think I might be able to persuade you against that." Well now Levi was even more wary. "It's urgent," Erwin added, like Levi would care. It wasn't urgent to him, and he hadn't gotten where he had by rushing on account of other people.

Out of the corner of his eye, Levi saw Eren returning to the base. He had a basket of mushrooms at his elbow – for dinner or spells Levi wasn't sure – and that godforsaken wolf trotted obediently at his heels like some trained, simpering puppy. Levi didn't recall reneging on his decision to not allow Eren to keep it, but it appeared neither boy nor wolf cared.

Eren looked up, surprised by the appearance of the unfamiliar stallions milling about the courtyard in Erwin's rich court colours, and peered around them curiously. The stallions shied and tensed at the sight of the wolf and the mangy beast tucked closer to Eren in response, lips pulled back over its bared teeth and placing itself between Eren and the huge beasts as if to guard him. Eren patted him distractedly, exchanging looks of suspicion with the members of Erwin's party.

"Who is that?" Erwin asked, also noticing the new arrival.

"The witch I told you about."

Erwin looked surprised, appraising Eren loftily. He didn't mean to look lofty and he certainly would have been chastened if Levi pointed it out, but Erwin just had that effortlessly imperious air to him no matter how much he tried to downplay his nobility.