Chapter 9 - Flirtatious Nights

Masrani was a fashionable man. Independence Day was approaching, and while he was of Indian origin, he had become as American as everyone on Isla Nublar. He was busy organising the party behind the scenes. June 10 was the day the Indominus had been born, and he was determined that the incident remained nothing more than a bug. Plus, he was still patriotic; he still celebrated India's Independence Day, even more heartily than July 4.

As the date approached, everyone was super excited. Zara had an admirer, and they both liked each other a lot. As fate would have it, Lowery's own love story had a happy twist, as Vivian and her boyfriend split, and then again, she knew that Lowery liked her a lot. Everyone was with a partner; even Masrani's wife was joining in the party. The question was who Claire would go with. Or who Owen would go with.

As their deal was rendered defunct, Claire and Owen's bond was strengthening leading up to July 4. But then again, they didn't want to throw it out that they were together. Maybe they would surprise everyone at the party, but they decided not to go together, but hook up when they meet later on. And this was a good plan.

--

The night came. The people were in full excitement, and the party was celebrated with fervour. But then again, Claire caught the eyes. Masrani greeted her with a nice handshake, and when she reached the counter, the man beside her was the one who had the ladies dying for him.

"Dry martini."

"Same for me." Claire turned around to see Owen Grady at his dashing best. "Well, nice to meet you here, Mr. Grady."

"Likewise, Ms. Dearing." And for once, Claire just loved a formal Owen Grady. Lowery and Vivian, Mr. and Mrs. Masrani; none were immune to Owen and Claire's dasing powers that had every man and woman falling for them. Just then, a handsome man strolled in, and Claire just turned around. 

"What happened?," Owen asked. Claire looked worried. "That's Steven McMillan, and-"

"You two have history. Interesting."

And that's why Claire hated him. "So, you can deal with this?"

"Just do what needs to be done." As Steven saw Claire, Owen shifted to a different position far from Claire, and gave her a wink. 

"Hi Claire! Haven't seen for a long time!" 4 months, to be exact. 

"Yeah, didn't expect to see you here..," and then Owen worked his charm.

"Hey sweetheart, was just talking with a friend."

And she understood. "Yeah, that's good."

"And you are, Mr.-"

"Grady, Owen Grady. Nice to meet you Mr. McMillan."

"Looks like Claire has told you about me. I work at Microsoft, Global Sales and Operations."

"Wow, I mean, sitting behind a desk doing that, I can't do that."

"So, how long have you two being together?"

"4 months, to be precise." And Claire wasn't going to stay silent.

Steven was stuttering. "Well, great. I'll see you around." And he left.

"You're welcome Ms. Dearing," Owen said with a smirk. 

"You are insane!," Claire was laughing. "How in the world?"

"It takes practice to flirt with the most beautiful woman on the planet and then see off her ex."

"Well, that's interesting Mr. Grady," said Claire in her most flirtatious tone. The gap between them was small. After all, Claire was incredibly attractive when flirting with Owen.

Some time later, came someone from Owen's past. It was a girl named Madeleine, and they had broken up even before Owen met Claire. Owen liked to point her out as one of his worst decisions.

"Hey Grady!" When Owen was seen by that woman, Claire was nowhere to be seen. 

"Didn't believe that I'll see you here."

"Me too. So, still single? Huh?"

And then it was Claire's turn to rock.

"Hey baby, sorry, I was a little busy, hope you don't mind..."

"Not at all sweetheart.." and Owen gave his savior a kiss on the cheek. Madeleine was speechless, and she just left.

 When she left, Owen was also, well, speechless. "You were so good!"

"Well, it takes practice to flirt with the most handsome man on Earth and see off his ex."

Owen's smile was rather massive. By then, the party was in full swing, and the DJ's song was about to reach it's most explosive pitch.

As a sort of a countdown to this began in Owen's mind, he just took Claire aside. And when the song hit full pitch, Owen's lips crashed on Claire's. Her arms were around Owen's neck, and his were around Claire's back. And they loved that kiss.

"I loved that."

"Likewise Ms. Dearing." Owen said in a teasing tone.

And they left together.