Sincerely, Your Wallflower

“There I was again tonight 

Forcing laughter, faking smiles 

Same old tired, lonely place 

Walls of insincerity 

Shifting eyes and vacancy” 

I couldn’t believe it. Once again I had been tricked, lured out of my home by my friends to come to a stupid party. This isn’t my scene. I don’t belong in such a loud, intense environment. With the flashing lights and the blaring music, it just isn’t me.  I mean, I’m the wallflower of the group for Pete’s sake! The one that enjoys the little, peaceful things in life.  I wanted to be home, sitting in my bed, reading a romance novel whose storyline is just too good to be true.  But knowing I was a sucker when it comes to puppy dog faces and guilt trips, my wonderful friends claimed that I never spend enough time with them while pouting and looking with those tearing eyes. Damn the puppy dog face. Damn the guilt trips. If I had a stronger will I could’ve resisted and been comfortable in shorts and a large t-shirt. But here I am, leaning against the wall as I watched people grind against each other, hips swaying, music pounding, practically tearing each others clothes off on the dance floor.

Glancing at the few people loitering around the edges of the dance floor, I noticed a pair of crystal clear, green eyes staring at me. It was a brilliant shade of green that I had never seen before in my life.  That was the first thing I thought of as I looked curiously at the man. Dark brown, medium length hair framed his face, emphasizing a straight, angular nose and a perfect Cupid’s bow mouth that is currently twisted up in a smirk as he noticed my stare. Traveling my eyes down the length of his body, I noticed his tall muscular stature and cool, confident pose.  Pushing off the wall, he began walking towards me until he came to a stop a few inches from me.  He leaned down towards me and whispered, “Like what you see?” his cool breath caressing my ear, sending a wave of shivers through my body, opening my nerve-endings and making me sensitive to my surroundings.

“Your eyes whispered 'have we met?' 

Crossed the room, your silhouette 

Starts to make its way to me 

The playful conversation starts 

Counter all your quick remarks 

Like passing notes in secrecy” 

I twisted my head and breathed, “Of course I do,” rolling my eyes sarcastically. “You just make me feel so...hot, you cocky bastard,” chuckling as I pushed him away from me.

“You wound my heart.” he exclaimed, clasping his hand to his chest, “I’m the gift God sent you from heaven.” He sighed dramatically, looking up at the ceiling.

“So, may I get this pretty lady’s name?” his expression changed as a grin spread across his face.

“Hmm… I may have to think about that. I mean, I don’t even know you. What if you turn out to be a complete creep that stalks people’s facebook?” Was I really teasing a complete stranger?

“Hmph. Fine. I guess I will have to do it the hard way.” As he reached out and poked my sides.