Chapter 1: A fateful encounter

Alexa felt as if she had been stabbed in the eyes by a thousand mirrors as she pushed open the doors. It was one of the most talked-about five-star hotels in Taiwan. As she looked around, she found herself gawking. There were hundreds of lights above her. She had never seen a place so bright but also so beautiful. Western media didn't do justice to Asia. She could see her reflection on the walls.

"Alexa, what are you doing?" Lin, one of her colleagues, called her as she walked past. She was stunned like a child in Disney World.

"Just watching," she replied as she gathered herself.

"Come on. We are going to be late!" She dragged her to the conference hall where many companies showed their products, including theirs. She was glad that she was a part of the team, even though she joined about a week ago. Alexa was born and brought up in the USA. Her friends thought it was very dramatic for her to move to another continent.

They made it to where their colleagues had gathered, which was, of course, near the coffee machine. "Hey, Boss!" One of the guys greeted her. Alexa was indeed the head of the R&D Department. But she treated them as friends. They thought it was cool, but to be honest, that's how you get work done.

"So, have you met the big boss yet?" Xan, another colleague, asked. He was talking about Ms. Maggie Chan, the CEO of the company. Alexa had read about their boss before joining the company. To be honest, she was a fan of the big CEO. She had two PhDs at such a young age and was handed over the CEO position by her father, Mr. Chan, also the company's co-founder. She hadn't had the pleasure of meeting her as she was out of the country for a meeting. She was told that the CEO was giving the opening speech that day.

"No, I haven't. But, I have heard she isn't friendly to employees. So, I will keep my distance," Alexa shrugged. They all chuckled in response. Suddenly, a gush of wind diverted her attention. She watched the door open up, and four big guys in suits entered. They were surrounding a lady in red. She was trying to see who that was. Of course, this place was crawling with VIPs. But for some unknown reason, she felt curious. One of the guys moved to give her a chance. The lady was none other than the devil herself, Ms. Chan. Her dark eyes seemed cold. The dress hugged all the right spots, and she was sure she could make any guy dance with her little fingers. As they started walking in their direction, Alexa found her heart beating out of her chest, which was odd. As she came closer, Alexa noticed her beauty closely. I mean, there were beautiful girls all over the place, but she was something else. And she couldn't stop staring. Ms. Chan looked in the direction where Alexa and the others were for a brief moment and smiled, and Alexa found herself weak in the knees. What was happening to her?

"Don't even think about it!" Lin warned, which made her confused. What was she talking about?

"What are you talking about?" Alexa asked.

"I know that look. But she's the boss. So, as a friend, I am looking out for you."

She read Alexa like she was transparent. "As if!" she rolled her eyes in denial.

She was the first friend Alexa made in college. She went to the same university as Alexa and returned here after graduation. Thanks to her, Alexa learned about the job opening here.

Later that evening, they went to socialize with people from other companies for the next hour. It was almost time for the opening speech. Alexa was told that Ms. Chan delivering a speech. She was curious about what the big boss had to say. Then there she was, looking magnificent as ever. She radiated power and glamour all over the hall. God, did she just say that? She seriously needed to stop fangirling.

The day was dragging, and Alexa just wanted it to be over. It was exhausting to think about some unpacking later. Her feet were also killing her. She wanted nothing more than to go to her room and crash.