Chapter 1

Kayley

   Kayley walked into the TV studio and gasped, amazed that this was all set up for her. The lights shining down from above lit up the set as bright as a star. It’s going to be hot under there, she thought. I hope I don’t break out into a sweat on camera.

   She continued up to the stage that was built to resemble a country kitchen found in some mansion in Beverley Hills. It looked better than she had ever imagined. The shiny stainless steel appliances didn’t have so much as a finger print on them. A round sign with her show’s title Eating Vegan hung over the island. Her eyes sparkled.

   She took her time exploring the kitchen. She turned the dial on the stove, stiff from never having been used before. The burner turned red and a smile lit up her face. I can’t believe this is happening. The refrigerator was full of ingredients that she requested. Mostly organic produce and fresh herbs. A bottle of champagne stuck out from behind the broccoli. Kayley grabbed the cold bottle and read the note attached to its neck. Put this in your coffee cup. Our little secret. D. She smiled. Her agent Debbie always knew how to lighten the mood and help her relax.

   “Well if it isn’t the best selling writer turned television star.” Kayley turned around towards the booming voice. The producer Al Snyder was walking towards her with his attractive personal assistant following close behind, clutching a clipboard to her voluptuous chest.

   “It looks wonderful Al,” Kayley said, extending her hand for a handshake. “Thank you so much.”

Al walked right past her hand and swallowed her in a sweaty, fleshy hug. He smelled like cologne mixed with barbecue sauce. “I spared no expense Kayley,” he said, releasing her.

   “No expense,” his assistant repeated from behind him.

   “I want this show to be a big hit,” he said.

   “A big hit,” his assistant repeated like a parrot.

   Al exhaled in frustration and turned around slowly. “Cara why don’t you go fetch our new friend here a cappuccino.” Cara spun on her heels and bolted towards the door.

   “No thank you,” Kayley called after her. She turned back to Al. “I don’t drink them. Vegan remember?”

Cara stopped half way to the door. She looked back and forth between Al and Kayley, looking panicked with no orders to follow.

   “Then get me one,” Al said.

   “But your wife asked me to limit your caffeine intake and you’ve already had-”

   “Fine,” he interrupted. “Then go to every single person in the office and ask them if they want a cappuccino and if they do then go get them one.” She nodded and bolted out the door. Al’s eyes lingered on her backside as she left and then turned back to Kayley.

   “How many people are in the office?” she asked.

   “Enough to keep her out of our way for a few hours. Hiring her seemed like a good idea at the time,” he said rolling his eyes.

   Al gave her a tour of the studio while spitting out tips on when to look at which camera and how to interact with the crowd. Kayley looked at the empty seats across from the stage and bit her lip. “Where do you get the audience members?”

   “Losers off the street who have nothing better to do than watch a cooking show on a Tuesday afternoon,” Al said.

   Kayley frowned and was about to retort when a slender girl covered in tattoos and bright, short blue hair walked into the studio. “Natasha my love,” Al said walking over and crushing her in a hug. Natasha grimaced at Kayley with a look of pain in her eyes. “Meet your newest canvas.”