Chapter 3

Kayley

    “Absolutely not.” Kayley said, crossing her arms.

   “There’s got to be another way.” Tyler said, his palms open on the desk.

   Kayley glanced at his rugged hands. “Nowhere in my contract says that I have to go hunting with some psychopath. What next? You want me to kill an innocent animal with my bare hands?” She noticed Tyler flinch at the word psychopath.

   “It’s not going to work Al. We can think of something else. I can go back out. Re-film the episode. This lady has issues.”

   “I have issues?” she said, turning towards him with a look of disgust. “I’m not the one running around the forest shooting arrows into animal’s faces like some kind of caveman. I’d be thrilled to see your show get canceled.”

   “You think you know everything don’t you? You have no idea what I do for animals.”

   “I know your kind.” She stood up knocking the chair back. “I’ve seen first hand what people like you do to animals. I’ve been to prison because I protected animals from people like you.” She ripped up the sleeve of her shirt. The letters APF were tattooed in black ink over a tiny paw print across her upper arm.

   Al was sitting in his chair with a smile on his face as big as if someone just handed him a million dollars. Tax-free.

   Kayley rolled her sleeve down and sat in her chair. She glanced at Al, a bit embarrassed from her outburst.

   “See, it’s not going to work out Al,” Tyler said in a low voice.

   Al was trying to hold in his grin. “Tyler go see the editor. I’ll let you know what’s going to happen later.”

   “I’ll let him know right now,” Kayley interrupted. “Your evil show is getting canceled because I’m not going to do it.”

   He picked up his laptop, ignoring her comment and left.

   Kayley sat in her chair with her arms crossed. “I’m not doing it.”

   “Would you like a cappuccino?” he asked. “Cara,” he yelled out before waiting for an answer, “two cappuccinos.”

   He looked back at her and smiled. His smile made him look like a ferret. Kayley looked away. “I’m not going hunting,” she repeated.

   “Look. I’m going to level with you. Tyler’s show is not doing very well. Your show is doing great. In only four episodes you’re the Network’s seventh highest rated show.” Kayley perked up in her chair and looked at Al with her eyebrows raised. Seventh already? Wow. She knew that people were liking the show, someone had even recognized her at the grocery store the other day, but she didn’t realize it was seventh at a Network of twenty three shows.

   “We’re a team here at the Adventure Network,” he continued. “When one show is in trouble we all chip in and help out. You want to be part of the team don’t you?”

   “Yes, but-”

   He held up his hand. “Adding a famous vegan like yourself,” he said, adding an emphasis on the word famous, “would help boost the ratings for Bow Hunter.”

   “We would just argue the entire time anyway.”

   Al smiled and then tried to hide it, attempting to look serious. “It would add some spice to a spice-less show. No one is asking you to harm any animals. Just go along with Tyler and give your views of the hunting industry. Add a little controversy. You might be able to change someone’s mind.”