Chapter Eleven - Brains and Brawn

A week passed at Warrenheath, and gradually I met more and more spirits. They were all like Alice and Nate; friendly enough but sad. I wanted to help them so badly, but how could one Kenai take on the whole Varaat?

I spent hours pacing around in the Grand Hall, my heart full of grief for people I had never known. Standing in the Hall felt oddly sacrilegious at times, considering the number of skeletons I had removed from here. I now knew that Alice had died in this room protecting the younger students, and I knew that the claw marks in the stone were more than just training accidents. Tears sprang to my eyes as I thought of the pain and suffering, and I marvelled at the stories these cold stone walls could tell.

I stood in front of the Blooding Wall and stared at it. I remembered being forced against it to be Blooded, the intense pain that had filled me, and how quickly the pain had subsided. I remembered Mum's shock when I was fighting fit mere minutes after touching the Wall, and I remembered the fear in Katie's eyes.

Footsteps approached behind me, and I knew it wasn't one of the ghosts. I didn't move as Katie came to my side. She spoke quietly, as if she didn't want to disturb me but knew she had to.

"We need to talk about this." She said.

"About what?"

"Being here. It's getting to you."

I turned to face her, suddenly angry. "I'm sorry?"

"Since the ghosts showed up you've been really distant. It's like you're lost in your head all the time and you won't let me in."

"I saw it."

Katie was thrown by my words, and fumbled to find a response. "Saw what?"

"The slaughter. Alice showed me. I saw her and Nate fight to protect the younger kids, and I saw the Varaat showing no mercy as they killed everyone."

"Oh Kayla, why didn't you tell me before?"

I turned away from her and sat on the steps. I stared down at my scarred hand, wanting to cry but having no tears left. Katie sat beside me, and after a few awkward seconds she wrapped her arm around me, holding me close.

"They need to be set free." Katie said softly.

"I can't do it." I said.

"Kay-"

"I'm not a killer!"

"I know, but if you want to help them, and avenge your mum, then there's no other way."

I stood up, throwing Katie off. I faced her with fury burning in my eyes.

"If I go after them," I yelled, "if I kill them all, then I'm no better than them! I may be a Kenai, I may be the last Kenai, but I can't do it."

Katie stood up slowly, and looked past me at the doors into the Hall. I slowly turned to follow her gaze, and there was a flash of bright light in the centre of the Hall. It faded, and a figure stepped out, watching us with wary eyes. Katie grabbed my arm so I didn't fall over when I realised who I was looking at.

"Mum." I said, my voice cracking.

"Hello sweetheart." She said, smiling.

---

So many emotions raced around in my head, and I struggled to find the words to express them. She looked beautiful; her hair hung loose over her shoulders and her face was bright. Like the other ghosts, there wasn't a drop of blood to be seen.

"You're stuck here?" I squeaked.

"Yes." She replied.

"Why?"

"Deacon." Katie spat.

"Yes, he's still breathing so I can't go anywhere else."

I couldn't speak, I was in so much pain but couldn't move. I wanted to hold her, to keep her close, to protect her, but the rational part of me knew that there was no need to protect her anymore.

"I can't be a killer." I said.

Mum watched me, and I expected her to be angry. I was prepared for her to shout at me, to tell me that it wasn't my choice and that I had to do what was best for everyone, but instead there was only an understanding silence.

"I know this is all strange to you," She said softly, "and I know that the Academy is yours now as the last Kenai, but don't feel like you have to change for anyone. At the end of the day, if I stay here then I get to watch you grow, and I get to know that you're safe, which is all a mother wants for her child."

I wiped my eyes, embarrassed by my tears. "But the others?" I ask.

"The other spirits will most likely try and push you." She said sadly.

"Why?" Katie asked.

"They want to go home. When a Kenai dies, they can only ascend and be free once their killer lies dead. For these kids, I freed a few of them by killing those four Varaat soldiers last week, but there are still so many that want to leave and can't."

Katie and Mum talked, but I couldn't hear them. All I could hear were my own thoughts waging war on each other in my brain. There had to be a way of releasing the spirits, including Mum, without facing the Varaat head on. I may be a Kenai, but I knew that there was no way of winning against the entire Varaat. I wracked my brain trying to think of a way to handle the situation. I paced back and forth, and watched Katie and Mum talking. Seeing them together, two people in a large space, gave me an idea.

"I know what to do!" I shouted.

The conversation ceased, and I joined Mum and Katie in the middle of the room. They both watched me, one face full of concern and the other full of joy.

"What's the plan?" Katie asked.

"We can't face the whole Varaat at once," I said, "so we bring them to us, on our terms, one group at a time."

Katie frowned. "How?" She asked.

"When those men broke into your flat," I explained, "I was trying to call Detective Ferne. That can't be a coincidence. I make the call, she sends soldiers to us, we take them out systematically without putting ourselves at a disadvantage."

Mum folded her arms, thinking over my proposal, but Katie was furious.

"You called her?" She barked.

"Well you weren't exactly being straight with me!"

"I'm gay, being straight doesn't work too well for me!"

Mum chuckled, and soon we were all laughing together just like old times. Only once the laughter had subsided did Mum speak.

"It's a better plan than tackling them head on," She said, "but how confident are you that it'll work?"

"It's got to work," I said, "we can't fight an army with two of us."

Katie rubbed her hands together and looked excited. Without a word she left the Hall, leaving me and Mum alone.

"I know you want to help everyone," Mum said, "you always have, but don't try and do too much. Remember you're still a person, despite being a Kenai. You can be hurt, and as I've proven, you can be killed."

"If this works," I argue, "then you'll be free to be with Dad. You'll be happy, and that's all that matters."

"What about you?"

"Trust me, I'll be fine."