Chapter One

• Dedicated to Michaela Hinson

Chapter One

Of course on all days when the annual fall festival came into town, I had to be stuck in a musty classroom with an oversized toaster oven of a teacher. Lucky for me I had the last seat in the last row of the classroom and view of the barren commons area outside the school.

But being in the back of the room had its perks; I could text, doze off, pop bubbles and not get caught, and hardly ever get picked to answer one of Mrs. Dypers unsolvable, non subject related questions usually dealing with something involving politics or high heels.

I glanced at the clock, only another 52 minutes left until 3rd block ended. I regained my post watching the clouds roll across the sky and the light breeze gently pushing the tire swings back and forth. "Delilah? Do you not hear me?", a rough voice edged itself into my conscious.

"Huh?", I breathed, stifling a yawn. Snickers erupted around me as I realized Mrs. Dyper was staring right at me waiting for an answer. "I asked you if Woodrow Wilson's term consisted of a certain vision setting agenda relating the privileges of our current day economy to the government during the world war era"?

What does that even mean? "I'm sorry, I'm not sure what the answer is. Could I come back to you on that?", I asked. Right as I said it, I made eye contact Cooper, my bestest, most loyal friend in the entire world. He sat a few seats away from me, right behind where Mrs. Dyper was standing. He pointed at her and scrunched his nose while swatting his hand in front of his face.

If you hadn't guessed already, Mrs. Dypers name is pronounced the same way as you would say a baby's diaper. So of course, it was the joke of the class to make faces behind her back and pretend she smelled like a dirty diaper. Pretty mature for 11th graders right? Future leaders of the free world maybe?

I tried to keep from smiling by covering my mouth with my hand, but it made Mrs. Dyper even more angry. "You think this is funny? You can't afford to fail this class, Delilah. You may have a C in here, but that grade can easily go done with a few clicks in the grading system. Now I suggest you pay attention or I will move you to the seat right in front of my desk, where no matter what you do I will be able to see you." You could literally see the vein bulging out of her already blotchy neck, and she glared at me with her beady eyes.

As she turned around to head back towards the front of the room, Cooper looked at me again and mouthed," She can be a real pain in the ass, can't she?" I nodded in agreement.

**********

I met up with Cooper for linner after the bell rung, which was a meal for when the school lunch didn't quite fill you up but it wasn't time for dinner yet. Our town wasn't too big, it had all the necessities that people needed like restaurants, bars, malls, that kind of stuff. We weren't New York City big but weren't Dawson, Texas small either. It was a good in-between. Yep, our good city of Pine Drought, Arkansas.

Cooper and I had a tradition; Monday - Wednesday we would eat at the Flaming Pot Cafe (a cute restaurant with an ocean and fishing theme) and Thursday-Friday at Cheese and Things Bar and Grill (you can figure that out yourself). Today was a Tuesday. No cheese or things for me then.

"What was Dypers problem today? She was acting like a bitch to me," I asked Cooper. "Ignore her, she probably has her panty hose up her butt or something," he replied as he opened up the door of the restaurant. He held it for me, deeply bowing and swinging his free hand towards the entrance. " What a gentlemen," I said sarcastically and he raised his head and gave me a sexy wink.

After being seated across from each other, we both leaned towards each other and lowered our voices. " Have you heard from Bethany yet?" I asked. "Yeah, she said she should be in town by tomorrow evening, and it shouldn't take long since she is flying in," Cooper replied after taking a sip of his coke. "By flying you mean the normal way or the Bethany way?" I said, making sure no one around us was listening. Cooper looked up at me. "The Bethany way." Oh boy.

The waiter came by and took our food orders, a cheese burger with pickles and a side of onion rings for me and a meatball sub with extra meatballs on it and a side of fries and mashed potatoes for Cooper. You know guys, gotta keep the fibers going.

As I reached towards my glass of water, a tiny electric shock shot from my fingertips into my cup. Cooper and I both looked at each other. I reached for it again and with the same results. That was weird. "You don't think....." started Cooper, looking wary at my hand. "No, no, no it was just a little bit of electricity is all. Nothing to worry about." My voice cracked at that last part. "Delilah, you know what happened the last time you couldn't control yourself," Cooper quietly said as the waiter approached us with our food piled on his arms.

When he left, I looked at Cooper. " Yeah I remember what happened. Every time I close my eyes I remember. It was probably just our minds playing tricks on us." "Maybe......," Cooper mumbled before chowing down on his sub. Such a gentlemen indeed.

You might be a little confused about what was up with our little chat just now. I could go into details, or I could easily tell you in a few words.

We're super humans.