⤷ 🇭​🇺​🇮​🇹​

Kids and Big Sisters

・゚

・゚

・゚

He hadn't visited her that week. It was the first week he spent without her since they met. The only reason was that Nathanael was embarrassed. How could he look in her eyes after she rejected him, it just hurt.

He was not angry at her, she had her own opinions, and he certainly did not blame her for not wanting anything with him.

His second week had started, spring long over and summer right outside his window.

Ahmad, his roommate, had been back the few days. He had questioned the Mexican boy why he never went out. A few months back when Nathanael had first met Leigh, he had been at the hospital a lot, which had caught Ahmad's attention. The boy who spent most of his time in the dorms had started being out late.

The curly-haired boy just gave Ahmad the classic answer, which was that he had too much school work right now.

With his roommate out and him being very bored, Nate got ready to go out. He took off his hoodie and changed into a t-shirt. The only thing bad about summer was that he couldn't wear hoodies, which was his go-to clothes.

Opening the door, his converse clad feet walked towards the stairs while pulling a cap on his curls. Walking out into the warm summer weather, his brown eyes looked around as if someone he knew would pop out.

Plastic soles of converse shoes hit cobbled stones as they walked up a familiar sidewalk. Opening the big doors, a smile crept upon his face.

"Hi Mrs. Davis, how are you?"

His cheekbones standing high on his face, his pearly whites noticeable from his toothy smile. The place brought him happiness, even if it was looked at with sorrowful eyes by everyone else.

"Oh dear, hey I'm good thanks for asking, How are you, how's that school treating ya?"

"I'm good, yeah I'm good. Uhm the school is also good, a little bit stressful when it comes to the exams, but good altogether."

Mrs. Davis. It was hard to just describe her as a normal person because she wasn't. She was like an angel sent from above, a heart of gold and no bad bones in her body. The woman was short, with meat on her bones and a head full of greyed hair. She was like a grandmother to every child in the orphanage.

Pulling Nathanael into a hug, making him slightly bow down, the woman patted his back. "I knew you would do great, and how many more times do I have to tell you to just call me Martha. No need for those formalities."

She pulled away looking up, their height difference significant. Looking deep into his eyes she faked an angry look and shook his shoulders.

"I have to go make lunch, but you go ahead inside. I know there are some beans waiting for you." She laughed and walked away.

Nathanael's smile hadn't faltered since he came inside. Looking around for the energetic small bodies, he suddenly felt a weight on his leg. Looking down he saw a small figure with the hair of a bush.

Lifting the small boy into his arms and resting him on his hip. "Hello, my small bean. I heard u missed me, so I came running."

Giggles erupted out of the child as Nate tickled him. "I did, you were gone longer than normal." His giggles stopped, and he pouted.