The Beginning

People say that we are lucky to be living in a time like today. Why? While the present is not crime-free, it is more peaceful than it was over seventy years ago. Back then, everyone was oblivious to what was going on around them. Global Warming started to take a giant impact on the world, mainly to the sea creatures that a tenth of them have died out. The only thing left to prove their existence is photos. A war broke out that cost the lives of thousands, and because bodies kept being brought to hospitals, doctor's hands became too busy. Too busy to focus that our soil created a disease, in which, was deadly. If they caught it, then they were lucky to live for more than a couple weeks.

All that is history, though, and we now live in the year 2096. After all the chaos, humanity focused on improving our environment. Our time now looks like one of those futuristic movies they had back then, and it sometimes makes me wonder if the dead are jealous to not be alive to see this. I know that I'm grateful to be living in this time, but my life, in general, is not something I'm proud of.

I wouldn't say that my life is perfect, but it sure is average, other than the ideal grades in school. My parents have regular jobs such as a secretary and dentist. The only thing that isn't normal is my older siblings. My big sister is quite popular and athletic, that she already has scholarships lined up to get her through her whole college life. Of course, she does have to wait another year since she is still a High School student.

My big brother, though, is the talented one. He was born with amazing vocal cords that he was sought out instead of the other way around. Right now, he is across the country, probably writing his next best song that will blow away his admirers. But he is gay, so I don't have much hope for the female fans.

Meanwhile, I am waiting for the train so it can take me to school. Wind blowing my hair in front of my face, I had to spit some strands out of my mouth. While it was annoying, it would be over once the train comes. It usually wasn't something I was looking forward to, but today is a special day. It was my third anniversary with my boyfriend, Nathan.

Three years and he still holds my heart; however, he always knows what I am up to every year, so I texted him saying I wasn't feeling well. My plan was to surprise him at school with his favorite type of cupcakes. Not only that but tickets to a concert he has been looking forward to. I could only imagine his face now. The thought of it made me smile like an idiot, but it didn't matter to me.

Minutes later, the train was now in view, the tracks built almost the same way as those roller coasters that were banned over twenty years ago. After dipping down to get to ground level, the doors opened, allowing me and everyone else to get on or off. Due to my kind heart, I let everyone go before me. When stepping inside the train, the doors closed behind me. I only wished I was the first one on, then it would have given me time to rush out.

Right in front of me was my boyfriend, kneeling, in front of my childhood bully. He had a little black box, proposing to her. "Olivia Bonnet, will you marry me?" He said. Olivia only smiled, no tears in her eyes but pride covering them.

"Yes, of course, I will!" She hugged him, Nathan only taking it, his arms slowly rising to hug her back. When Olivia pulled back, she took the ring, putting it on her finger to admire the look of it. At that point, she saw me. "Carry!" She yelled in surprise, standing up. It bothered me that she dare use my nickname, especially after she said yes to Nathan's proposal.

At that, Nathan turned around, eyes now wide to spot me in total shock and anger. "Ella, you said you were sick." He stood up while speaking, and it made me angrier. Is that all he had to say? After giving him three years of my life, cheating on me, and proposing to my childhood bully?

"Don't you dare Ella me! Is this why you didn't bother to convince me to go? Is your proposal the reason why you didn't offer to come to my house after school?" I yelled. I knew full well that everyone's eyes were now on us.

"Ella, you're making a scene," Nathan said while Olivia hid behind him. Using him as a shield or so, that's what it would look like. Her face, though, screamed victory. She was glad to steal him away from me.

"A scene?" I yelled. "You're damn right I'm making a scene! I gave you three years of my life, and you run off to that skank? Not only that, but you proposed to her when we are only sophomores!"

"He already made his choice, Carry." Olivia dares to speak.

"You're not helping!" Nathan said, trying to get the hang of this before it got way out of control. While he was focused on her. I opened my bag, taking out a container that held the cupcakes. As much as I wanted to open it and throw one after another, it just felt better to throw the whole thing.

"Take your damn cupcakes! Caring about our three year anniversary for nothing! You're nothing to me!" I said. I could feel my eyes watering and my body shaking. I was an unstable teenager surrounded by judgemental strangers and peers. Trapped in a moving metallic box to which means I had nowhere to go. I just want everything to end.

"Ella-" Nathan began; however, there was nothing else to add to his sentence because there was a crash. A sound of collision when it made contact with our train. I could feel us falling to our death, a half-mile drop to our doom. Screams were echoing, sounds bouncing off one another. I, of course, was one of the screamers. What else can I do other than cry and silently pray that I get through this?

Pain, all throughout my body. My eyes were slowly opening to witness that not only did I survive the crash, but I was also surrounded by the victims of the crash. It was hard to get up to check how many were still breathing, though what else can one expect after falling from that height? It took a while before I found enough strength to move to the closest person.

There was a lady that had a deep scratch on her forehead. Using two fingers, I checked for a pulse before giving up when there was no heartbeat to be found. Right beside her was a purse, surely, just like everyone else, she had to have a phone. I grabbed it, digging around but making it hard with all the junk in there. So I grabbed and threw out anything and everything that wasn't a phone. Her wallet, a pack of gum, hair supplies, and random trash. Nowhere in there was a phone.

It irritated me to not find one, especially now that my bag was lost somewhere in a mess. Though I did notice a small pouch inside her purse. It wasn't any of my business, but curiosity got the best of me. It seemed to have been sewn in, so with little effort, I broke it. Inside was a necklace that only I can ever dream of affording. Was I going through the belongings of a dead rich lady?

"You sure that this would have killed her?" I heard someone say. Someone was alive. Another survivor, it must be.

"Hello?" I said, my voice almost weak, but it was still strong enough to get their attention. There was a moment of silence which was then was followed by the sound of footsteps. It sounded like there was more than one person. I didn't bother to say anything until I was able to see them.

Right in front of me were three men, all well dressed. "Help me" is all I was able to muster out; however, they stood there. Watching me. I wasn't sure as to why they didn't jump for the opportunity to help until one of them pulled out a gun. It was now pointed at me. Something told me that the crash was not an accident and that my life is not going to be the same ever again.