Chapter 16: Serious

"Whoa, hold the phone, back it up."

Tony made a stop motion with both his hands. I looked at him from the floor, trembling slightly. Actually I didn't notice I was trembling.

Pietro was rubbing my back in a comforting manner. I wish my mother would respond...

"You said your father died?" Steve asked gently. "If I may ask, how did he die?"

"He died of a car accident. He's a scientist, just like my mother. One day, there was a drunk trunk driver and he rammed into the driver's side of the car. The paramedics told me it was an instant kill."

I barely noticed that I stopped crying. I was so intent on trying to sort out the mess that I didn't realize that I shot up. "Is there a way to see the bomb's maker or where it came from? Like a tracker?"

Tony rubbed his goatee thoughtfully. "There could be, but he was pretty smart since he managed to override the system and send the 'bomb' in undetected. That takes some smarts since I built the tech myself," Tony muttered sourly.

Clint came back from the kitchen holding two steaming mugs of chamomile tea. He handed the mugs to both JJ and I and situated us on the couch.

"Now, start over from the beginning, girls," he said gently. Honestly, I could see him as a father.

"He is a father of three children," Wanda whispered. "Sorry, hearing thoughts is second nature," she apologized." I nodded, not really offended. There's nothing in my mind anyways.

On my left, there's nothing right and on my right, there's nothing left. So I didn't really care much.

Beside me was Pietro who still was rubbing my back and to my right was JJ who had Bucky. I could hear Bruce and Steve talking on the couch in front of us, forgetting that I had cat ears.

"Can we track it?"

"Give me some time."

"What are we whispering about?"

Tony popped in randomly, holding a glass of amber colored liquid. I almost giggled. Almost.

"What's your father's name?" Steve asked gently.

"Alex Wonder."

"This is going to be really insensitive, but did you see his body?" Bruce asked, leaning forward. I opened my mouth, but then I closed it.

"No I didn't see his body," I realized. "They wouldn't let me see him. They said it was to much for me to handle," I trailed off.

Everyone exchanged looks. Natasha frowned, suspicious. "What kind of person doesn't let their family see their father in an accident?"

Suddenly there was silence. JJ perked up, an idea dawning on her face. "What if," she started hesitantly, "He didn't die? What if it was a set up?"

Natasha and Clint looked at each other gravely. "It's not impossible and we've seen it happen," Natasha said.

Bucky looked down. "I guess I'm an example of that," he said softly. JJ gave him a side hug and leaned her head on his shoulder in comfort. Her right hand stroked his hair.

"If he was taken, then who took him?" Bruce injected a question in the air and for a moment we pondered.

Suddenly an uneasy feeling crept into my stomach. "I remember a couple days before the accident, he was really stressed and angry. I remember him shouting in the phone and I saw him tear up letters," I said slowly.

JJ looked at me. "And they had an octopus on the letters."

From there it was pure silence.

"HYDRA," Bucky growled under his breath. It was the most menacing sound I've ever heard from him. I actually had shivers down my back. Pietro rubbed my back.

"Well, we know that he's alive," Wanda said firmly.

"But what's with the whipped cream and confetti bomb? HYDRA would try to kill us," Tony said in confusion.

Well we don't know what's going on for sure, but we'll find out," Steve promised.

Suddenly, there was a ding and the elevator door opened up. Vision, Thor, and Loki came out and stared at us in confusion.

"There's a sad cat, a sad hatter, and angry Avengers on the couch," Vision pointed out.

"What did we miss," Loki asked, annoyed he missed out on something.

"Will the pop of tarts make it better?"

"It's just poptarts, Thor."

----------------------------------------------------------

After getting everyone up to speed, night had fallen. I had gotten better at sleeping anytime I want and right now, the stress took a toll on my body and I felt incredibly tired.

I to my bed and suddenly I crashed into sleep. Unfortunately for me, it wasn't dreamless.

Fog surrounded her, mysterious and ominous. It swirled around her, cold and harsh, causing her to shiver. She seemed alone and a quick pang of fear crept into her heart.

Suddenly, there was a person in the distance, their silhouette male.

She took a step forward, hesitant. "Hello?"

He took a step towards her. And than another one. "Why did you leave me?" His voice was deep and melancholy. "How could you do this to me?"

The girl let out a choked sob. There stood her father, his face etched with disappointment and anger. "I didn't want to. They wouldn't let me see your body," she pleaded, tears streaming down her face.

"I don't believe you!" He snarled. His eyes took on a red shade, like blood. "Some daughter you are," he said stiffly.

She cried out, "Please! Believe me! I miss you so much!" She fell to her knees, her head in her hands. "I didn't want to leave you!"

"Lies! All lies!"

Those words echoed in the foggy area, ringing in her ears. She sobbed and covered her ears. "Please," she whimpered. "Please."

"DIE!"

I shot up and touched my face. It was wet with tears. I heard an odd noise and for a minute I didn't realize where it was coming from.

It was me. I was shaking so bad, the bed was shaking. I looked around for Jaelynn, but she was gone. In her place was a small paper that told me that she was with Bucky. She couldn't sleep.

I took a deep breath and wiped my tears away. I opened the door and crept over to Pietro's door. Right now I wanted comfort.

I gave three tentative knocks and when the door opened, a disheveled Pietro yawned before me. "Alice!" He said in surprise. He scanned my face and brought me in for a hug.

"What's wrong," he asked.

"I couldn't sleep. Can I sleep with you?" I whispered. Pietro didn't even hesitate. He brought me in and closed the door, setting me down on the soft bed.

"Of course you can, dragoste. Anything for you."

He slipped under the covers, me and his self. He curled an arm around my shoulders and my head was under his chin. Feeling safe and warm, I started to fall asleep. "Thank you, Pietro," I murmured.

He kissed the top of my head. "Anything for you," he repeated softly.

And I had no more nightmares.