Chapter 1 - "Dysfunctional Family Blues"

*Edited*

Laine was sitting in her room, staring at the ceiling blankly as the shadows danced in the sunlight. She had nothing to do today as it was a Saturday evening, she finished her homework and finished all the chores her mother has set for her to do. She particularly missed her father, as a child he used to take her to parks, she used to miss those times. But now those times have passed, just last year her father got promoted to research on upcoming diseases, or that's what he told her. She giggled softly to herself as she recollected that memory. Laine wasn't the type of teenager to hangout with her friends all day, if she had any or watch t.v. She was the type to just stay home and watch the sky as the hours passed by.

Her mother's voice pulled her out of her day dreaming haze, "Laine! Come down here!" her mother's voice sounded very happy for some reason. Laine hopped off of her bed, making a soft thud sound on the ground "Yes, mother!" she called out. Intrigued on why her mother called her down suddenly, she practically ran down the stairs until she stopped abruptly at the bottom of the stairs. Her face showing nothing but shock, but it changed within seconds, into pure joy. She ran to the door where a very familiar man stood "Father!" she hugged him as tight as possible. He was back after what seemed like forever for Laine.

*******

At the dinner table, everyone was quiet. The tension growing in the room was thick enough to cut with a knife, Laine's father had just said that he has to leave for New York tomorrow, again. And that he was just here to settle some debts with someone. Laine was extremely quiet as she stared down at her fried rice and started playing with a green bean with her fork. Her mother glanced at her sympathetically and silently kept eating. Laine was getting tired of the same excuse given every time he leaves for work, she stood up from her chair suddenly causing her father to flinch. But her mother was already used to this kind of behavior coming from her. She quietly and calmly walked up to her room and sat on her bed, she stared at the stars outside until she heard a conversation between her parents downstairs.

"Jared, what is wrong with you?" Her mother's shrill voice pierced through the silent atmosphere reaching her room.

"Marie, I have gone through this with you a thousand times!" Her father's voice boomed louder than her mothers. She silently kept listening on to their conversation. Laine was huddled on her bed about to cry.

"Don't you know what goes through her every time you say this? Oh, of course not because you don't even know your own daughter! She wants to spend time with you Jared, like the times you used to take her to the Lilly park every Saturday morning." There was a pause in her mothers sentence. "She misses you, why can't you understand that?"

"Do you realize how much I get for this job, woman! It is crazy! I get 10 grand every month, that's the money which pays for this house's mortgage anyway. Let's thank Trask Industries for that." My father was cut short by my mother.

"We are not talking about the money, Jared...we are talking about your daughter- our daughter"

Laine couldn't stand their heated argument anymore, they did this every time her father came back from work. Laine slammed her bedroom door shut, trying to give a message to her parents to shut up. She lay still on the bed, once again staring at the ceiling. But this time there were no shadows, just the pale color of the moonlight. She thought about how her father would once again be going back to work tomorrow and how all this would end. She closed her eyes, listening to the faint sound of her parents argument downstairs. Before she knew it, she fell asleep while listening to the sound of the crickets outside and as well as her parents voices.

********

Eheh...hiiii everyone. This is kind of like a back story on how Laine's family is...so yeah c: Please comment if my writing needs improvement or if I need to add a little more detail or something like that. Feedback ^ 0 ^