Chapter 2

His attention had been targeted at her from the start. Right when she gracefully stepped out from the red sleek car, to exhibit her tall and curvy form. She was in a simple white tee and jeans and her brown hair tumbled with streaks of golden in a ponytail. Something in him had awakened in her presence, and he gladly welcomed it. He saw her reaching for her cell. Fixated on her, he'd jerked when his phone rang. This was Lilian Stone. He inwardly smiled at his fate. Walking up to her, she turned around. Lords, she was exotic. Her golden skin and plump pink limps sparkled in the sunlight. Her jade black eyes twinkled. She seemed surprised, too. Excellent, he thought. 

"Ms. Brown?"

"Yes, and you're the Star Nathan sent?"

Ignoring the chilly tone in her voice, he said, "That would be me." Behind he felt a tug on his arm.

"And this is my niece, Felicity."

Felicity peeked at her from his arms and shyly twirled her hair. "Hello."

Instantly Lillian's face changed into a beautiful smile, and she knelt down to grab Felicity in a warm embrace. "Hello to you too. This is how we greet cubs in our pack."

Felicity giggled and hugged her back.

"We have a playground outside if you want to play. Kyle, take her out to play with the others, will you? If that's all right with you, of course", she asked Daniel.

Daniel looked at Kyle and analysed him. Safe. He nodded and sent her to play. Steeling her face again, she sat down on and ordered breakfast.

"I'll cut to the point, I want to help you. If you need any help in the investigation, my pack will support you."

"Of course", he replied. She looked so pretty when she smiled. And even better when she was business-like. Shaking his head, "Did you know Rhys personally?"

"No. One of my pack cubs, Trey, spotted him in a pack event 2 months ago. He was on my territory without my authorization." She looked angry at herself.

"How could he enter without your authorization? Even though I had your letter, I wasn't allowed to come without the patrols scanning every inch of me. They picked up my scent."

She gave him a wry grin. "Good to hear that Dylan's troops are doing well."

"But since you asked me, it leaves 2 options, my forces were incompetent or he had a scent of a pack members' on him."

"How could he have a scent on him?"

"He could have been in a shifter family, or-" She blushed to a pretty pink tinge. Daniel furrowed his brows. 

"Yes?" he urged.

"He'd have to be scent-branded."

"What's that?"

"It's the start of mating. He was too young for that, so that won't be it."

She was sure she was blushing to the roots of her hair now. He was deep in thought, with his chiseled chin tilted. Her tiger approved him. He had a muscular built with broad shoulders, and was nearly half a foot taller than her. And she was 5' 7''. But his eyes captivated her. They were sky blue, with a sparkle. They were genuine and he seemed like a gentleman. She admired the protectiveness he'd shown towards his niece. Maybe he wasn't the man as the tabloids had described so eloquently.

"Are you mated?", he asked her suddenly, his eyes showcasing a storm within.

"No.", she replied, confused.

He visibly relaxed and looked at her. "I won't harm your pack or any other member."

She pierced a warning gaze at him and used her alpha tone, "If you do, I won't hesitate to pull your limbs apart and kill you."

He sat back, amused, and asked her, "You have my word. Now, I have a few demands of my own."

Lily inwardly face-palmed herself. Of course the tone wouldn't work on the powerful Star. "What?"

"First, I want you to be on my side on every part of my investigation, so I get permission to interrogate and search."

Continuing, "Second, I want to live in the alpha quarters. The shifters around look like they'll kill me."

"What? Of course not! And they can't kill you. You're under my protection."

He sent her a look. Her insides melted under his heated gaze.

"Okay. So, what's our agenda, Star?"

"You can call me Daniel." He looked at her expectantly and patiently waited for a response.

Clenching her teeth, she said, "Fine. Call me Lilly." 

He smiled at her and amusement danced in his eyes. She froze. Did Stars ever smile with such warmth? She brushed away her thoughts and scowled.

He ignored her studiously. "First, we'll meet Trey. Then, I want to see your records for any missing shifter. Rhys could have been yours."

"We already checked the records, there's no missing shifter with that description."

"What if it wasn't reported?"

"Daniel, our pack wants cubs. We love them. Who wouldn't report a missing shifter cub?"

He liked his name on her lips , he decided. He continued, "I have a theory I need to investigate. Did you know the framed man?"

"What's your theory? And, no, I don't know the man."

"I can't tell you that till I confirm it."

She glared at him icily and narrowed her eyes. She was an alpha, she didn't do well with insubordination.

"Don't you trust me?", she snarled.

"What type of shifter are you? I've heard about wolves, leopards, jaguars. What are you?"

"Don't change the subject." She pressed her question.

She had claws in human form, too.

"Not right now", he said.

Sensing that he'd remain adamant, she sighed. "Let's start by meeting Trey then. Its Saturday, so he's in a football match today. What would you like to do?"

"I like football. Let's go there. I'll get to meet your pack members too, right?", he eyed her.

"Yes", she replied hesitantly.

He climbed into the passenger seat next to her as she drove ahead.

Behind him, Felicity was beaming with happiness. His heart melted when she started to talk animatedly to Lily. Lily laughed along with her and paid rapt attention. Felicity never had an female model figure in her life, and this connection was new for her. 

For him too. The question was to embrace it, or step away.