Chapter 3

The football ground was enormous. The entire pack had gathered in the area and everyone was waiting for Alpha Lillian's monthly briefing. She called Zach, who was busy inspecting Daniel. Rolling her eyes, she went up to Zach and asked, "Is Trey in the game today?"

"Nope. It's Leaping Leopards vs. Juggling Jaguars today. He must be in the stands."

"Okay."

"How's the Star?"

"He's annoying, but, he seems sincere." 

"Okay. We need to keep an eye on him."

She agreed with him, and walked to the center of the field with her mike.

"How's Mistville?", she shouted.

The shifters howled in response.

"I hope you all are in your prime health and harnessing your complete potential towards the pack development. Next week, we will have a new library set up for the kids. With the help of Morgan, we will be expanding out Tech Park! The plans will be posted on our website. Please give a round of applause to Morgan!"

A thunder of claps echoed, as a shy woman came up front and waved.

"The last 2 weeks have been tough for us. The boy, Rhys was spotted in our territory a month ago, without pack authorization. To help with the investigation, we have with us Justice Star-Daniel and his niece Felicity. Welcome to our pack."

She gestured them to come ahead and Felicity gaped at the huge crowd. The pack greeted them with friendly smiles.

"I want each of you to remember, you are a part of this pack. As your alpha and friend, I believe in each of you. May the games commence!"

Daniel looked around. Every single pack member was looking at their alpha with devotion and faith. Lillian was a true leader and in her element. It was a big, happy family. Something he'd lost, and delicately weaved together with Felicity. He watched as she greeted all the cubs and they pounced to hug her. She interacted with the elders and other members and finally made her way back. 

"Alpha Lily, you wanted to talk?", Trey asked nervously. 

"Yes. Daniel wants to ask you some questions."

"When did you see him, Trey?", Daniel inquired.

"About 2 months ago, on Independence day. The fireworks were bursting and I was eating popcorn on a picnic blanket. I heard a faint wail, so I went in the bushes to check. It was a boy around my age. I asked him why he was crying but, he couldn't talk. His face became a mask, guarded, when he saw me. He began clawing at me, like he couldn't touch me. I tried to calm him and led him towards fireworks, when he stopped struggling. He looked mesmerized, like he'd seen them for the first time. And when I looked at him again, he was gone. Poof! Vanished."

"What was his scent like?"

He looked embarrassed. "My scenting isn't good yet. Dad says it'll develop till I'm 15."

"What was he wearing?"

"Military pants and a black shirt."

Daniel looked at the boy. He slipped into his mind, silently. He never entered a mind without permission, unless he/she was a suspect or under 18 years of age. It was a parrot green and violet hue, with beautiful paths surrounded with trees and flowers. Nothing unusual. He was speaking the truth. His mind was pure and secure, he thought. The boy was well loved and nurtured. He would grow to be a smart shifter.

"What kind of shifter are you?"

Lillian shook her head and motioned Trey to go.

"What's wrong with me asking?"

"Our animals are sacred to us. We don't go about declaring who we are", Zach informed him.

"What now?" Lily asked, while surveying the ground.

"Now-" he began when Lily brutally shoved him to right. Her heartbeat was running erratic as she sensed danger. Panting, she motioned Zach to carry Felicity away and slowly stepped out. An arrow was aimed at where Daniel had sat, and it smashed against the tree trunk. "DYLAN!", she yelled out loud. The gamma was already running towards the source. Meanwhile, she checked Daniel for any bruises or wounds.

"You-" he started to say, when Dylan approached. Along with him was a girl, about 15-16 years old. She sneered at them with a defiant posture.

"Who are you?" Daniel asked her.

Looking up at him, her face darkened and she jumped to choke his neck with her arms.

Lily grabbed her arms and made her look at her. Using her alpha tone, she said "I will not hesitate to kill you if you lay your fingers on him. Who are you and why do you have our scent?"

Her alpha tone made the girl look down and she scrunched her eyebrows.

"You can banish us from the pack, but you can't take the scent away, can you?", she spat bitterly.

"Who banished you?"

"He did", she scowled, as her eyes hardened with hate.

"Who?"

"Your cousin", she spat. "And both of you seem to have the same rotten blood flowing in your veins."

Daniel saw Lillian's gaze soften. "Jeremy?"