1: The Beginning

January 2017

January 2017

"Sooyoung," called the man across the wave.

"Dad," Joy answered with a beam plastered on her lips. "What were you doing?"

"I was just watching TV with your sisters and saw you performing on the award show," he replied with an excited tone. "Were you just done?"

"It was pre-recorded, so I've been in the waiting room for a while monitoring the performance," Joy answered before sipping a hot chocolate.

"Ah really?" her dad paused a bit, sounded a bit too obvious that he was actually just beating around the bush. "I was actually thinking about having a dinner with you."

"Really? I'd love to go," Joy got up from her seat to go to the rest room.

"Yeah, but not just you and me," her dad said quickly, "with your mom too, and Sungjae if possible."

"With him too?" Joy asked, curious on why his dad suddenly mentioned Sungjae's presence. "He's a bit busy lately, you know, with Goblin's filming and all."

"I know, that's why it's 'if possible'."

After washing her hands, Joy went out of the toilet and stumbled upon the man her father was talking about. Sungjae.

Sungjae smiled as he saw her to what she responded with a wide smile.

Her hands were still wet, and she just squeezed her phone in between her ear and shoulder without touching it. She murmured a small 'help' to her boyfriend and he quickly held her phone for her.

"He's here. I'll pass you to him then," Joy replied to her dad. She turned her eyes to Sungjae and whispered, "It's dad."

Sungjae got himself over the phone and greeted her dad, "Father, it's me."

"Sungjae!" the voice over the wave was full of excitement and joy as he heard his son's voice.

"Dad, why do you sound happier to hear from him than me?" Joy protested.

"I finally get to talk to my son again after so long, what do you expect?" her dad answered.

Joy laughed it off before completely handing her phone to Sungjae.

"Sungjae, I was just thinking maybe you and Sooyoung can go over to have a dinner with me and her mom," Joy's dad explained. "When are you free?"

"Oh," Sungjae laughed. "I will probably be free this weekend, though it will be a bit late."

"We can have a dinner as long as the sky's dark, so it's fine," Joy's dad reassured. "What do you think about this Saturday?"

"I'd love to come!" Sungjae replied. "I can probably be there at around 8."

"It's perfect. I'll get you the details later," Joy's dad coughed. "See you, Son."