Stand-Up

"Please, stop" then came muffled sounds, gurgles of water, and gasping. Like she was out of breath.

I looked for the source of the sound. It came from the girl's bathroom. 

"I told you what would happen," A voice said. Different from the one that I heard before.  I reached the door and took a peek. My eyes widened, they are drowning the poor girl. Three girls against one. The girl in the center was pulling the girl's wet hair. 

"I tried to- I tried to, Jen. But she's my own sister" the girl pleaded, tears streaming down her eyes.  Jen rolled her eyes and laughed. I can see her fists tightening on the girl's head.

"Aw, how nice of you. Do you think your sister will do the same for you?" Jen's friends looked uncomfortable.

"I don't think we should do this" One of her friends said, Jen gave her a hard look. She looked down and didn't say more.

I want to help her. I really do. But messing with Jen and her friends? That's not my idea of laying low. I want to make friends, no people hating me or pulling my hair or talking behind my back. I looked once more, Henna was crying and shaking her head. Then Jen pushed her face down the sink. Henna is struggling, trying to break free. Jen laughed even more. I gulped and walked away.

Jen's laugh was echoing on my head, so is Henna's muffled cries. I can't stop thinking about what would happen to Henna's sister tomorrow. My mom came into my room.

"Are you ok?" She must have seen my expression. My mom always knows what I should do, so I told her everything.

"Lily, do you remember when you were bullied?" How could I forget that? I didn't even do anything to those girls. I nodded.

" What did you feel?" I'm not sure where she's going with this.

"I felt hopeless. Alone. Like no one's there to save me and help me" Then I realized. I shouldn't care about what they will think of me. What's wrong is wrong. They have no excuse to treat people like that.

------------------------------------------------

"You know, your sister was just here yesterday. The very same spot, crying and begging for help" Jen snickered. A different girl this time, but she looks like Henna. Dirty blonde hair and freckles. Henna's sister. Before they can do anything to her, my voice found me. 

"STOP. You are not allowed to do this to anyone." I ordered. She looked at me like I was delusional. Jen dropped Henna's sister and came towards me.

"I don't think so" Came another voice. It was Henna with a teacher next to her. I was pleased with myself. Before I came in to find her sister, I told Henna to bring someone that can help us. Her sister ran and hugged Henna. Henna thanked me and invited me to sit with her friends. I finally did it.