22| new resolutions

Waking up was a strange one.

The surroundings around me felt unfamiliar and unknown but there was a kindness in the air that didn't make me wary straight away.

As my mind began to rise but my eyes stayed closed whilst the rest of my body awakened too, I could hear the gentle faint sound of conversation. My ears perked up as I heard something echoingly familiar, bringing back my consciousness further.

And as I realised that the soft thrum of the conversation around me was including my name, I didn't open my eyes and continued to fake sleeping just so that I could get a grasp on what they were talking about, suspiciousness lurking inside of me.

I didn't like the feeling not one bit.

"Her stalker could be her father?" were the words I first heard as my five senses started working, the question sounding like it came from Reed.

And suddenly as if a switch had been flipped, everything around me was in focus and now I could concentrate.

"Nope, he was too young," was Dorran's reply, short and blunt like it usually was.

"I think a different question begs to be asked," Marcelo announced, "What's the stalker's motive?"

There was a beat of silence before Reed filled it, "He's right; Darcy said that this guy has been following her for years and yet nothing has happened, why attack now?"

It was silent yet again as they thought, trying to draw up answers that I had attempted to get for years now to no avail. It was pointless their brainstorming. They'd find more answers pondering mathematical theorems than this.

"I really do think this is linked to her father; who else has the resources?" Was Archer's question and I was surprised that he was getting involved. I had never heard him speak much and despite the blooming acquaintance relationship status we held, I wasn't sure that that meant he had to stand in my corner and fight.

At the mention of my father, my gut clenched in anticipation, not wanting the conversation to sway this way. Why were they all here anyway, talking about me all chummy; it was too weird for me.

"Why would he hire a person to follow her and make sure that she was safe only to call back on it and attack her last minute?" Reed added to the conversation.

If anyone would be able to solve this mystery, it would be Reed or Dorran. They both had very calculated, analytical minds that drew up every possibility before exploring one further. It was probably why I had been drawn to Reed first and why I was drawn to Dorran now. They were quite emotionless, not letting their feelings take control of their actions like me, despite the few bad days I was having. Wasn't it said that like-minded people were always drawn together?

My philosophical wondering was halted when Lennox started speaking and as soon as I heard the subject matter, my heart slowed in my chest as I started to feel paranoid, almost being able to hear the slowing thump of my central organ.

"Darcy basically got her father arrested and she told me once too that her father hated her," Lennox blurted out making my insides feel heated, "So I wouldn't understand why he'd want to protect her so it couldn't be him that sent the stalker. It would explain why that guy tried to kidnap her but I don't know, my mind is coming up blank."

At Lennox's little theory and my secrets that he had told, I felt slightly betrayed again. Yes, Dorran and I were no longer rivals in the sense but it still didn't mean that I completely trusted him and wanted all my vulnerabilities open on the table for him and his friends. Yes, I was going to help him destroy Mathew but I'd decide when and what I'd tell him. It wasn't up to Lennox. My past was my past and my past only.