Rain, a Salt Breeze and The Stars

The trip there was uneventful. Occasionally there would be a loud crack or voices in the distance and we'd all pause, holding our breath, but nothing really happened. We avoided the roads, crossing ones we had to in pairs and constantly keeping a look out.

The landscape got more and more hilly as we neared Kootwijk, covered in dense forests and thick heather. Luckily for us, this masked Alex's footsteps. However, it mean that I tripped over the long fronds several times.

By several she means many.

Shhh.

The VLF station sat at the top of a flat hill, surrounded by pretty much coverless plain and then thick forest.

We reached the edge of the trees and stopped, unsure of how to proceed. There was literally no cover between the forest and the building.

Fun.

Cap eventually decided, after assessing the area for quite a long time, that we were going to crawl across.

Thank Morgana it was June and not some rainy month.

I couldn't be bothered to clean mud off an otherwise clean uniform.

Well, cleanish.

We crawled in single file, Cap leading and Alex taking up the rear as second-in-command.

'Halt and gather round.' We were half-way to the station when a whispered order travelled down the line.

I crawled up, stopping next to Cap. He waited for everyone to join us, then started whispering orders.

'Shock I want you to find cover and take out as many patrols as you can. Wilson stay with her. Then I'll take Harris, Walker and Edwards around the front. Wilson, you and Shock follow when it's clear. Everyone aim for the main hall. The radios should be in there, according to the intelligence we've received. Is the plan clear?'

We nodded.

'MOS move out.'

Alex and I crawled to a small bush, about two-thirds of the way to the station.

I pulled my gun off my shoulder and positioned it carefully; so that only the nozzle could be seen and only if they had a torch. Alex lay next to me, eyes glued to a pair of binoculars. I looked into the scope, taking a moment to find my first target. I flicked the safety catch off and fired, wincing at how loud the crack was in the almost silent night.

I took out the rest of the patrol before they could raise the alarm and watched through my scope as the rest of the team reached the building and slipped round the edge of it.

Another patrol came round the corner, presumably to check the gunshots.

I shot one before they reached the bodies, another as he leant down to check a pulse. The remaining two drew their weapons, heading in our direction. I shot at one and he dropped; but not from my bullet.

Oh hells.

I glanced at Alex, who drew his gun, checked that it was loaded and flipped the safety catch off. I pulled mine out of it's holster, laying it in the grass next to my rifle.

Glancing into the scope again, I scanned the area for any rustles in the grass.

There was a noise to our left. In an instant, I had my glock up. A few careful shots later and there was a cry of pain.

Strapping my rifle back onto my shoulder, I motioned for Alex to follow me and crawled towards where I had heard the sound.

Not far away was a German soldier, clutching his shoulder. I aimed my gun at his head and motioned for him to push his gun away. He did so, then went back to pressing down on his wound.

I lowered my gun and moved forward, kicking his further behind me. I checked the soldier's pockets for extra weapons, finding only a knife and some extra bullet cartridges. He looked nervous as I raised my gun again, slumping as I connected it with his temple, knocking him out.

I then pulled out a bandage and wrapped it tightly around his wounded shoulder. Hopefully that would stop him from completely bleeding out.

Then we had to deal with his friend.

It was rather like a very dangerous game of hide and go seek. Alex and I crawled between low bushes and small tufts of grass, watching for any movement in the area around us, whilst trying to keep our own position a secret.

There was a rustle in front of us. Alex shot at it, but no noise came from that direction. Instead there was a click to our right and Alex was kicking something away and pushing me in the other direction.

An explosion.

My ears were ringing, my back burning.

Alex lay next to me, dead or unconscious. I wasn't sure which and that terrified me.

I reached quickly for his wrist, scrambling to find a steady beat.

I couldn't find it.

Hells.

I couldn't find it.

My breaths came quicker and quicker and I let go of his wrist, moving my hand to his chest, slipping my hand under his uniform, desperately feeling for a heartbeat.

Nothing.

Hells.

NO.

No.

no.

no this isn't right

anytime now he'll
wake up and make
a joke about me
undressing him or

something

The Nazi moved behind me, lifting a weapon. I turned, letting out an agonised scream and a stream of fé that impaled itself in his chest. His face went white and he stumbled back. A pained cry came out his mouth.

i found i didn't really care

Up in the sky, the stars twinkled.

A salt breeze twirled around us.

Rain began to fall.

I felt his energie slip away.