Chapter 19: The Covenless Witch

LADY ROSALIA'S OFFICE

-

VALENTINE. The same eyes Josh said he remembered, the eyes I saw not only in him but in my nightmares, there they were, belonging to a man who held the Netherworld in the palm of his hand.

He smiled, a dimple showed. "Lady Rosalia, Princess Aetos."He addressed me, I felt my veins go cold.

"Oh my, how did you know she was my daughter? The information has not been made public as of yet, " My mother asked, she was smiling at him.

She didn't see him as a threat, not in the way that I did.

He maintained his plastic smile. "Such a beauty can only come from you, she's your spitting image, my lady. "

My mother chuckled, joy spread across her face. He knew exactly what to say to make her smile.

That wasn't how he knew who I was, I refused to believe it, I favoured my mother sure but how could he tell from just a glance? With my hair chopped off and barely any weight on me?

It would take more than just a glance.

It was either he was Valentine in the flesh or he was another puppet hanging off his strings.

He winked at me, all the hairs on my body stood up. My eyes scanned the room frantically. That lamp, that lamp can be a weapon. Or that trophy, I can use the tip to stab him if I grab it quick enough.

My breathing became increasingly audible.

"Niamh, darling. Are you alright?"My mother asked, approaching me, I grabbed her hand and pulled her closer to me.

"You can't trust him, "I tried to whisper to her but the words came out loud.

"Whatever are you talking about? I cannot trust him? He is our ally, if I cannot trust him, who can I? And he is here to assist you, dear, be nice. "She chuckled awkwardly. "Please excuse her, she has had a bad experience with monsters. "

He didn't seem disturbed by my reaction, on the contrary, his eyes danced with mischief.

He took a step forward, I took one back, light from the open windows hit him, showing his shadow behind him.

I held my mother tighter, afraid he'd do to her what he did to my aunt. His shadow was shapeless, a mess of darkness with no discernable shape.

But I could've sworn for a split second it looked like a cape was covering his head.

It had to him.

"That's quite alright, I feel the same when I'm around her kind. My blood runs cold. "I shook like a leaf, it felt like all the warmth was the room was taken away, including the light, the sun outside hid behind the clouds causing the room to be dim.