1-intro

today, i've been woken up by my abusive, tough-loving mother, screeching at my father over a simple dish he misplaced. this kind of behavior from her is normal for us. so me, my father and my sister all think of her as a witch. that's the nickname we have given her since she started to act out... abusively. we don't really know why or what got into her, but ever since i was 10 it's been like this; our normal. constant screaming, arguments, and beatings, is the norm me and my sister live in. it's so unbearable; i don't know how my dad hasn't lashed out yet... better yet me or my sister. it's like a living hell here, you never know what's coming next.

        i'm still laying in bed, pondering what today will bring me, when my father steps in my room and sits on my bed.

"hello, my beautiful eldest daughter," he comments as he rests his head next to mine to speak to me.

"good morning, dad," i reply to him with a smile.

    "i'm sorry you had to wake up because of her this early...again," he replies as i turn over to my phone to check the time; 7am. this usually happens, since the witch is extra crabby in the mornings before she leaves us home alone for her job. my dad is a stay at home, to be able to homeschool my sister and i while the witch works all day.

    "it's okay, dad. i know it's not your fault," i say sympathetically to him.

    "one day, i was thinking about leaving with my two daughters. to run off and live a better and happy life that i promised when you were born."

    "why not now? nothing will change here..." he nods his head in agreement. i could tell he was planning it for a while... he's just been afraid of actually going through with it. maybe, he just needed assurance from us... the only thing he needed before doing this dangerous stunt we're going to pull.

    "i'll start packing... i want to get out of here," my sister comes in and says. the witch already left for work, making us free to talk about our plans.

        for a while, we sit in silence, not wanting to be reminded of the consequences if we're caught. if we're going to do this, we have to do everything in one day before she gets off of work. it's a risk i'm willing to take to get out of here.

    "so... is this it? are we finally gonna do this?" i speak up to break the silence. my father breaks into a smile after the realization of what's happening.

    "girls, today's the day. pack lightly and quick, and we'll head off soon. you girls need a better life, and that's what i promised. i won't let myself get in the way of that," he says with a small tear falling from his cheek.

        we each wandered off to our rooms, to start packing and leave. i still can't believe it, that it's finally over. we won't have to deal with the witch any longer, it's weird to imagine but it's still a happy thought for me. i've never lived a life besides this horrible, depressing one that i've dealt with for years. i should be ecstatic, but i feel terrified. i'm terrified of that new, happy life i'll have in only just a matter of days. i start to pack up my suitcase, still paranoid of what's ahead for me. i'm 18, yet i've never really lived a normal teenage life. i never really had a friend group or even a decent friend, only my family and the witch. but, my father and sister meant the world to me, so it was okay as long as i had them with me. i've never really thought about anything else, not even a crush.

        after about an hour of searching through my clothes and items to bring with me, my father steps in the room.

    "hello, sweet pea. are you ready to get going?"

    "yeah, i think i just need a minute before we leave," i respond to his question.

    "whenever you're ready, we'll head off," he says and walks out to the living room. it takes me a few minutes to process what we're about to do, but after those few minutes i'm ready to leave and live the life we've always dreamt of.

        i walk out of my room with my suitcase holding only items i don't want to leave behind and close the door, walking into the living room where my sister and father sit waiting for me. i nod to them, and we all collectively step out of the house and say out last good byes to the witches home that was once ours. as we walk to catch a bus, i think about all of the things that we can do in our new life. go out, explore the city, go to places we were never allowed to go. it made me so happy, i almost couldn't believe this was happening.

        we hop on the bus, taking us to our new home, a new future for us. i sit by myself, wanting some time to think to myself and to keep processing everything that we're doing at the moment. the witch that we grew up with, who has abused us and mistreated us, is finally gone and out of our lives. we had the chance and we finally took it. we don't ever have to see her or speak to her ever again. i feel like an idiot smiling at that, but i don't feel bad one bit. i'm not even scared anymore now that we've made it this far. i feel even more excited than i did just 30 minutes ago. i have freedom now, something that i've never had to begin with because of the witch. the bus stops, which is our cue to step off of the vehicle. gathering our stuff, we step off and breathe in the city's air.

        our new life has just begun.

authors note~

hey guys! thank you so much for reading this! chapter 2 is coming soon so stay tuned! if you like the story so far don't feel shy to leave a comment or vote!!! thank you so much for spending your time reading🥺 i promise i won't disappoint you!<3