Tyler & Chloe

Have a holly jolly Christmas; it’s the best time of the year. I don’t know if there’ll be snow, but have a cup of cheer.  

-Tyler & Chloe-

24th of December, Christmas Eve

Three words.

hate Christmas.

Alright, hate is a strong word. I dislike Christmas.

That's all I have to say on Christmas Eve. Everybody with their jolly faces because of the Christmas holidays makes me sick. It’s not like I don’t want them to be happy; don’t get me wrong – I do. It’s just that it reminds me that Christmas is here and their Christmas spirit and joyfulness isn’t helping my dislike for Christmas.

It’s like they were rubbing it on my face that the most hateful season for me is finally here.

So you get the point that I do not like Christmas — at all, but being my amazing mother, she demands me to go outside to be cheerful and help other people since its Christmas Eve, something about spreading the love around. It was a long speech, really.

"Mom, you know that I don't like Christmas," I whined emphatically, plopping into the couch and letting out a groan.

"Why?" my mother asked, a confused expression written on her face, eyeing me like I have grown a third eye. Compared to me, she loves Christmas. Well, my whole family does, everyone except me.

“I just feel like they're overdoing everything! The town has too many Christmas lights and decorations, everybody seems too happy! It’s like everywhere I go it’s all about Christmas. Celebrating Christmas is just a waste of time," I frowned the whole time I was explaining my dislike for Christmas.

My mother shook her head disappointedly at me and let out a heavy sigh.

“What?” I prompted, leaning forward.

“You need to see things in a totally different way. Christmas brings families close together. It’s make everyone more hopeful and happy. Everybody will be kinder to each other. The house seems more cosy and comfortable as every single person you love is in the very same house celebrating together,” my mother explained dreamily with a smile on her lips.

“Well…” I thought about it for a moment. “But-”

“Chloe, end of discussion. Go outside and don’t be back until late night. Do whatever you must do to love Christmas. After you come back home today, I want you to love Christmas like how I do," my mother demanded.

“Why are you forcing her anyway?” My older brother’s voice suddenly chimed in, coming into the living room to join our ‘delightful’ conversation of Christmas.

Nathan stole the pillow I was hugging and settled on the couch beside me. What amazing brother I have.

I frowned, “Yeah, why are you forcing me into something I will never like?” Then, I tried snatching back the pillow back from my brother but after miserably failing since he’s much stronger than me, I shoved him. He didn’t budge at all as he laughed triumphantly.

“You’re dampening everybody’s Christmas mood,” my mother stated, as she took one of the Christmas decorations out from the box – which was the mistletoe – and hung it in front of our front door.

“No I’m not!”

Nathan snickered and said with fake enthusiasm, “Oh really? Fine then, let’s all wear Christmas sweaters and take a Christmas photo with Santa!”