The Trip

I looked up at him, he had sweat running down his face. "Are you okay, I heard a voice?"

He collected himself. "I'm fine just working on a story" He said with a smile on his face.

"I was hoping that you had files for work absences for last year" I said while trying to put a smile on my face, pretending not to be scared by what I had just heard.

"Yes in my office, it's in one of my drawers." he said leading the way deeper into the office.

I chuckled "Lead the way." I said.

Edgar closed the door, quickly. "It should be in the bottom left drawer, you can grab it. My back hurts too much to bend over that far" He said while grabbing the letter opener on his desk. I leaned over to try and open the drawer, it was stuck but I managed to get it free. As it opened a cloud of dust came up.

"No one must have looked at these files in a long time." I said through a cough.

I could see Edgar out of the corner of my eye. He was being weirder than normal and very jumpy.

Edgar clasped the letter opener in his hand behind his back, he began to think again. She knows too much, she must disappear like our friend Daniel and the others, he almost laughed thinking about it. He wanted to take action. This was getting messy for him. He took the letter opener and raised above his head ready to bring it down for the kill.

I turned to ask Edgar if he was alright when I saw Edgar bringing the letter opener down towards me, I moved just in time. It hit the drawer making it break out of its place. I tried to scream.

"He-" I never finished the sentence he put his hand over my mouth.

"They won't help you, they only help me." He said while letting his laugh boom around the room. I tried to grab everything, anything. My hand grasped something. It was heavy. I hit it across his head, hard. I ran from the room, Willam and John tried to stop me. I broke through them and ran for the door, I ran out into the pouring rain telling everyone.

"Someone help me, he tried to kill me!" I kept shouting but there was nobody around because of the rain, I ran towards the police station thinking "How did Edgar seem like a different person. How did I not notice?" That's not possible, is it? An idea hit me, the police the sheriff should be back in town by now. I ran and ran. I burst through the doors soaking wet, through gasps of breath I tried to explain everything! He wouldn't listen and kept on talking to the other men in the room. The anger arose and I screamed "Listen to me!"

The station went silent. They all looked at me. I explained the situation, they all shook their heads and laughed, "Edgar Allen Poe died last week, how could he have tried to kill you," the sheriff said, "Did he rise from the dead?" Everyone laughed again, their laughs echoed all throughout the station. They were mocking me.