A Different Person

I turned to face John and William, they continued their work. "John where were you a year ago on Tuesday, the day you found the body?"

John looked up and replied, "Why would I remember what I was doing last year on the previous Tuesday, Detective?" He looked at me, giving me a look of stupidity. That's it, They think I'm an idiot. He scoffed and went back to work.

"Do I have to tell you guys to stop working so I can properly question you?" I said while putting my hands on my hips.

They both looked up "No ma'am." they said it in unison.

"John are you sure you can't remember what you were doing a year ago?" I said while turning to him.

William answered "He wasn't working that day, if I recall you were sick. Your sister came to tell me. I asked how you were and she said you were sleeping, you probably slept the whole day and that's why you can't remember anything."

John scoffed "I think I would remember being sick," he said. "Here let's go talk to my sister on my lunch."

"That should be fine," I said, " when's your lunch?"

"Half past twelve." He said while pointing to the clock above the door to Edgar's office.

I groaned, "I'll go talk to Edgar to see if he has any records of you not coming to work that day."

The gave me a questionable look, as I walked over to the door I was about to knock. When I heard a voice on the other side, it sounded like Edgars but with a rougher tone.

"She's going to catch me, my greed was too much for me to handle. She might have to go away. No, people will get suspicious. I'll wait, yes I'll wait. I will lead her the wrong direction and send an innocent man to jail. He'll be put on death row, then yes, yes she'll disappear along with Daniel Miller." He started laughing and it got louder, and louder.

I couldn't stand it anymore, I knocked. The laughing stopped, no noise came from the other side. Slowly the door opened. Edgar stood in the doorway looking very strange as if his mind was somewhere else.