nine. homegrown

CHAPTER NINE (&) HOMEGROWN

"he's not my boyfriend máma

"he's not my boyfriend máma."

✧・゚: *✧・

                  CONNOR STOLL WOKE UP ON A COUCH HE DID NOT RECOGNIZE. He was bathed in golden sunlight that filtered through the window diagonal him, and covered half-heartedly with a clearly homemade quilt. For a peaceful second, the son of Hermes let himself bask in the warmth and quiet of the afternoon. Waking up in Cabin 11, as you might imagine, was far from calm.

                    Then, Bailey Rivera's voice floated in from the kitchen, and Connor came to his senses. Quest, giant, Seattle, Nebraska— he reminded himself, with a quiet sigh. If only his life were simple enough to waste the afternoon away asleep on a comfy couch in a farm house in the midwest, that also happened to inhabit his rival slash recently-turned friend (?) slash childhood crush. Connor pushed himself up, and turned his ear to the kitchen.

                  "How long are you going to let your boyfriend sleep?" The more unfamiliar voice, Bailey's mother (he assumed?) was staunch and bossy. If that was the case— he couldn't imagine a lady like that getting along well enough with the god of the sun to conceive a child together. Bailey sighed in agitation.

                   "He's not my boyfriend, mamá, like I said."

                    "Well perhaps he should be. Muy guapo. And he's like you?" Connor didn't understand the spanish, but he did pick up on the tone to the woman's voice poorly masked under that last part. He started to rise from the couch, yawning widely.

                     "He's a demigod, yes." Bailey breathed. Connor briefly considered running in there to rescue her (that seemed to be a repeated theme in his life, no?) but selfishly, he wanted to hear where this conversation went without his entrance.

                   "Shame, that all the good one's have god in them."

                  "Should I remind you who's fault it is that I've got god in me, or do you remember well enough?" Bailey sounded angry, resentful. Connor thought fondly that he only ever really heard her use that tone of voice with himself. "I'm sorry I left how I did, mamá. But I'm not sorry I didn't come back. You hated the things about me that I couldn't ever change— what was I supposed to do? Listen to your complaints about the damned karpoi sniffing me out for the rest of my life?"

                    "In my defense, those grain spirits ruined a whole field of soybean."

                   "I have had always admired your incredible ability to miss the point. Besides— it's not like you tried to bring me back. I got one letter at Camp Half Blood and then radio static from both of my parents for the next five years." Connor decided to stand up from the couch then, getting a better look of the living room. It was quite eclectically decorated, though, Connor noticed, he couldn't find a single picture of Bailey.