August 17th

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━
3:53 A.M. / Friday, August 17th
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

Without a moment's hesitation, I rushed over to the local hospital. Yeah, it was almost 4 A.M. And yeah, I was exhausted out of my mind. But, after receiving that call from Mina's mother, I knew I couldn't just lay back down and fall back asleep peacefully. I had to see Mina and make sure she was okay. My brain and my heart needed confirmation that she was fine. 

Eventually, I arrived. The receptionist noticed I was sweating and starting to panic, so they kindly asked if I'm here to visit anyone. I asked them if a girl named Mina Ashido was recently brought to this hospital. They nodded and told me the room number. 823. I hastily walked to the elevator and rose to the eighth floor. Throughout the entire short elevator ride, the anxiety finally kicked in. Horrible thoughts filled my brain, but I tried my best to shut them out and focus on the present and only the present. 

Ding!

The elevator reached the eighth floor and the doors slowly opened. Walking out of the elevator, I felt a sudden wave of dread wash over me. The thoughts were getting worse and worse. 

'You're too late.'

'You should've realized something was wrong.'

'It's your fault she's going to die.'

All I could do was try and shake them off and move towards her room. If I stopped then, I knew I would've regretted it. So, after passing by a few more rooms, I arrived at her door. Room 823. 

I rose my hand towards the doorknob. But, I hesitated and pulled back. I didn't even think about hesitating, but my hand did it anyway. Right then, I realized the weight of the situation. If I opened the door, I could be greeted by grief and sadness. No one wants that in their life. But, if I left and went back home, I'd be carrying the regret of not going in for the rest of my life. The correct choice was painfully obvious, but... It was so hard to move my hand to the knob.

...

"I'm glad I chose you, [F/N]."

...

"That's right..." I muttered. "She chose me." I gulped and placed my hand firmly on the knob. "I can't let her down yet." Then, I turned the knob and opened the door. For a second, I was blinded by the light of the room, but my eyes quickly adjusted. I was greeted by Mina's mother sitting next to a hospital bed. In the hospital bed, lied a sleeping Mina.

"Ah, you made it," said her mother with a gentle smile. "Sorry to alarm you like that so late at night."

"N-no, it's okay," I stuttered, walking into the room and shutting the door. "I'm glad you told me, actually." I looked over to Mina and then back to her mother. "So, how is she...?" I asked.

"The doctors were able to stabilize her, so she's just sleeping for now," she replied.

When I heard that, it felt like a ten-ton weight was lifted off of me. I sighed with a smile that came so naturally. 

"Thank god..." I whispered to myself.

Then, her mother turned to Mina with a more serious expression. "But... This accident is probably a sign," she said.

"Huh?" I questioned. "A sign?"

She nodded. "Yes, I think Mina is at her limit... The doctors say that she could go any day now,"

And just like that, the weight that had just been lifted landed directly on me once again. I had thought that I had more time with her, but I noticed that it wasn't like that. The reality was that I didn't have enough time left with her. Subconsciously, my view shifted to the ground and my smile transformed into an expressionless face.

"I... I see..." I said in a monotone voice. 

Her mother took a deep breath and turned back to me. "That's why I want to ask you to do something for me,"

I slowly lifted my head up in response.

"I know this is probably tough on you..." she said. "But, I want you to spend as much time with her as possible," Then, she stood up and walked over to me with a reassuring smile. "I can only ask you to do this. So, please... Will you?"

So much had happened to me in only a little over two weeks. Before, I didn't believe a person could change in such a short time. Well, it was more like I refused to try and change in a short time. But, looking back on myself before I met Mina, I was a completely different person. Meeting her changed my life... for the better. So, how could I turn down such a request?

I nodded. "I will. I promise," I said. "I'll make her... last few days... unforgettable," 

"Thank you, [F/N]," she said. "Now, you can head back home. She'll be okay. And when you wake up you can come to visit her," 

"Yep, I plan to," I said with a slightly forced smile. I turned back towards the door and grabbed the knob. "See you later, Mina," I whispered under my breath before leaving the room. 

It's hard to say if I left that hospital satisfied or not. I found out Mina was fine, but also that she had less time than I had thought. I got to see her, but I couldn't even talk to her. It was frustrating that I couldn't do anything. But, from then on, I had a promise to fulfill. It was my job to spend as much time with Mina as possible and give her an unforgettable time. 

I had planned to visit her when I woke up later in the day, but even though I set at least ten alarms, I slept through the entire day. Even when I had an important goal, I was still an idiot.

-End of August 17th-