2.

Where Love Blooms

[][]

"So," Riley turned to Lucas, a smile wide on her lips as she wondered what their date would entail. "Where are we going?"

They were now in a taxi on their way to a destination Riley was still unaware of. She turned to him many times hoping to get an answer but part of her knew his lips were sealed to secrecy.

"Do you really want to know?" he asked, a grin on his lips.

She nodded and pulled her silk dress to cover her knees. The night was cold but not cold enough, nothing could stop her from celebrating their third aniversary together. Other than the fear of being proposed too.

"Fine," he caved. "You got it out of me. We're going to Cipriani's. I know you've been wanting to go there."

"Lucas, that place is expensive. How are we gonna afford it? Even the reservation alone is expensive."

"Riley," he inched himself closer to her ear. "You don't need to worry about anything. I have this all planned and under control."

She knew not to worry. She trusted him with everything, but it was a natural behavior in her. She had a few money saved up and if things started going south she was sure she could help.

Riley smiled and pecked his lips, "You're very kind, Lucas."

Minutes passed and they did was talk. They reflected on their previous not-so-good dates and memories of each other before they dated. The drive was a few minutes long but it felt like seconds to them.

"And that will forever be the last time we eat sushi," Riley concluded, laughing. "I couldn't even swallow the California roll."

"It was nasty," Lucas laughed at the memory. "It made the Top Ramen taste expensive."

If Lucas said something after that, she didn't hear it. She was too focused on something else. She caught herself doing it again. Staring at that particular place as they passed by it. She looked down at her hands and took a moment to process what she was feeling.

It was bittersweet.

"Are you okay?" Lucas asked. He noticed the change in her mood and he was worried. He went to grab her hands after seeing she was shaking.

Riley instinctively rested her head on his shoulder, "I'm fine. It's just that I can't stop thinking about it. It's like every time I pass it, he comes into my head and makes me feel guilty."

He kissed her temple, "Don't do that. You shouldn't be blaming yourself for what he did."

She pulled herself from him and wiped the bottom of her eyes. She couldn't afford to ruin her makeup. "We're going on a date, that's all that matters. Our three-year anniversary is today and I am not going to cry. So don't let me, okay?"

"Okay. Promise."

"You know I'd knew you'd be like this from the day we met," Riley informed. The smile on his face made her heart race, it set the butterflies in her stomach free. "It was like a vision. I mean it was clear from the second you ran to me after I tripped and fell over that rock."

The taxi driver released a light laugh and they both heard it.

"Even the driver is laughing," Lucas smiled.

"Apologies," he spoke.

"No need," she dismissed. "Lucas and I met in the eighth grade. Our school went on a field trip that day to a nearby campsite to learn about wildlife. Our classes got paired into a group and we were on our way to the next site and - "