I

Monday: 8:30 am, 10th September

J

Jessica sanders rushed down the stairs of the rented apartment, barely saying goodbye to the family she'd grown up and got used to with. Her raven hair was already stuck to her neck with sweat and her scalp was scratchy.

The elevator wasn't functioning again, thank the lords for not letting her get stuck inside. The last time it happened, it was not pretty.

She was running late for her bus, again. The stop was not that far from where she lived, a lengthy five-minute walk and a much faster minute or two's run.

Glancing at her watch, she exited the main door. Six minutes until the bus left. She had some time. She slowed up her pace from running and slightly jogged over to the bus. Entering the bus, she registered the disapproving look from the driver. Well, he knew the routine well. Come and wait. Not a day went by without it happening when confronted, Jessica liked to refer it as a rest to his tired body, funnily because her stop was one of the first ones.

"Good morning", said Jessica

The driver replied with a grunt and a stiff nod. He acknowledged her meaning he didn't wait for too long. That was the most she was going to get from him.

She went to the second to last seat, placing the bag next to her.

No one would sit beside her anyways.

Having nothing better to do, she picked up a book and started reading it. There weren't many people from her year on the bus. Only one other senior would board the bus and he wouldn't talk to her much.

Taking deep breaths she looked out the window. She looked to and fro out the window and to her book repeatedly. Knowing she wouldn't be able to concentrate on her book, Jessica looked at the windowpane and mentally calculated its length. 

The world was the same each day-so was the window's size-, the same cycle that never changed itself and didn't allow her to do it herself it seemed.

Time passed and she felt a tap on her shoulder. She whipped her head back hitting dean the only other senior on the bus with her ponytail. Maybe not everything would be the same today.

"Yeah?", Jessica asked

"are you prepared for the quiz?" asked Dan

"Shit! I forgot" Jessica exclaimed not loud enough for her to get everyone's attention but loud enough for it to be explained that she was genuinely anxious about it. Wide-eyed, she rummaged through her backpack for her notebook whilst dropping the one she was reading on the floor.

Dean amused by her reaction picked up the book. He went on." You'll get good marks anyways. I just thought you could teach me today."

She pulled the book out of his hands." That is because I pay attention in class." she smiled sweetly. "and study by yourself"

"Hey! You know I reminded you and besides, I sit next to you.

Narrowing her eyes, Jessica mumbled a yes.

She turned back to her notes still annoyed. Everyone knew to help him meant you getting caught but she was not supposed to be brave, so she sucked it up.

Reaching the school premises, she jumped off the bus proceeding to the benches where her friend group was seated. A group of three people out of one was her lifeline in the educational institution.

The infamous Lara Green. Born in New York, your standard Caucasian. She had her way with words winning over anyone who heard her speak. Her platinum blonde hair reached her shoulder, eyes blue as if the sky melted into the sea. Lips that formed into a wonderful smile flaunting the small mole on her upper lip. Somewhere around 5'8, she didn't go unnoticed and made the best out of it.

"Good morning", Jessica smiled as she hugged Lara who was seemingly talking to a guy who was in her Language class. She got along with everybody.

It was a wonder why Lara would be her best friend. She was not that pitiful. But the school didn't make sense to her anyway. It was the polar opposite of what she was used to. it had been two years since she joined and each day no matter how dull, she still got to know of things she'd never known before.